playMaker

Author Topic: Inventory System  (Read 9134 times)

schneebly

• Playmaker Newbie
Inventory System
« on: July 15, 2011, 01:33:03 AM »
After spending a couple days getting to know playmaker (amazing system by the way) and integrating it into various projects I ran into an issue. I decided I'd like to try to build an inventory system using playmaker. Something similar to WoW with a bag based system that allowed for object/item stacking.  After trying for a few hours I couldn't come up with a very usable system that I liked. I assume this is more to my lack of knowledge in playmaker than whether or not it's possible. Eventually I just started building code for it instead and had playmaker interact with the script as needed.

However before I build anymore I'd love to hear some ideas or solutions that anyone from this community might already have. I suppose what I'm asking is how would you go about it if you where to design and integrate a similar system? What would you use playmaker for and what would you not? Would playmaker be a good front end for system like this?

Sorry if the question is broad but I think others would also benefit from some advice on a system like this.

Thanks   :D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 01:47:05 AM by schneebly »

MaDDoX

• 1.2 Beta
    • FluidPlay Studios
Re: Inventory System
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 08:10:23 AM »
For inventory systems the first thing that pops to mind is an array or a collection of items. Array-like structures aren't supported in PlayMaker's current version, 1.1, but you'll be glad to know that a very fancy way of holding any kind of object container (including regular C# data structures) will be in place for the next release.

Meanwhile, I'd use a poll of child objects, each with his own FSM instance with a variable that holds the gameobject or data that your inventory item is linked to. From there on you'd use the get child action or some custom variation of it, to then read the related variables from it. For simpler stuff you can even use the current child gameobject names to "find" the real item in your game. "Set Parent" works wonders for that.
--
Breno "MaDDoX" Azevedo
@brenoazevedo

schneebly

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 07:38:30 PM »
Thanx for the reply Maddox. Ya I think I'll have to wait for 1.2 to try to do an inventory system with only Playmaker. In the meantime it's working well for the front end of things so I'll just keep using it that way and code the back end stuff myself. I could just make some actions to create a nice way of interfacing using playmaker.

At any rate thanx for the insight. You rock!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 07:31:18 AM »
Hi,

Check out the latest arrayMaker version, I made an inventory sample for you to study,

https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W715

bye,

Jean

schneebly

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 09:32:13 PM »
Hi,

Check out the latest arrayMaker version, I made an inventory sample for you to study,

https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W715

bye,

Jean

Sorry hadn't checked this thread in awhile. I'll give it a go asap. Thanks Jean!

TIGGYsmalls

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 12:49:10 PM »
I just downloaded Array Maker stuff and all I have Addons is Photon Networking.

Is it possible there could be a video on this in the future?

Red

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 02:44:12 PM »
Honestly, I am trying to get into it... because a lot of my watchers on Youtube have been requesting it.

Though i'm going to admit it i have been lazy in learning it (i kinda need something to work towards... learning for learning's sake is hard for me but if i have a goal in mind it's easier to keep the motivation up.)

I make no promises on punctuality (as in, you're going to have to be patient) but i'm thinking it might be time to consider putting an array-maker tute up.)

Hushonik

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 01:46:17 AM »
Honestly, I am trying to get into it... because a lot of my watchers on Youtube have been requesting it.

Though i'm going to admit it i have been lazy in learning it (i kinda need something to work towards... learning for learning's sake is hard for me but if i have a goal in mind it's easier to keep the motivation up.)

I make no promises on punctuality (as in, you're going to have to be patient) but i'm thinking it might be time to consider putting an array-maker tute up.)

Hi Red, can you provide link of your you tube channel?
Hush

markfrancombe

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 03:54:20 AM »

+1 Red
Your comments on this board are always useful, so a tut series by you would be amazing, how come I dont know about it??

TIGGYsmalls

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 11:24:42 AM »
Ah... just found the inventory stuff. It's in the project assets, not the menus.

Silly me.

Still, a tutorial on it would be helpful. How to make a grid system with different sized items would be brilliant.

Red

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 02:55:02 PM »
Hush

Well, at risk of thread-jacking, i'll just advise you to check out the Hutong Games youtube page. some of my tutorials are there (they're listed as "BadSeedGames" tutorials.) That and there are other awesome tutorial series listed there as well so it should really help to go check them out.