playMaker

Author Topic: Animations Won't Play [SOLVED]  (Read 16946 times)

intrikit

• Defiant Child
Re: Animations Won't Play
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 03:04:05 AM »
No it does not play.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 07:18:24 AM »
How are you making the animation? Have you made other animations that work in unity? It sounds like you might have art pipeline issues to figure out...

intrikit

• Defiant Child
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 11:40:49 AM »
The thing is, I haven't made animations myself. I modelled and rigged the character, but I assumed that I could just use either free or purchased animations, which is what I've been doing. They do work properly whenever I add an Animator component to my character and throw in an animation in the state machine in Unity..

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 12:42:16 PM »
Did you pm Jean the project? I'm not sure we're going to get any further without looking at your setup...

intrikit

• Defiant Child
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 01:17:27 PM »
Yes I did! I appreciate your help. You guys are awesome.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 06:08:26 AM »
Hi,

Yes, I have it. Allow me somew time, I am in catch up mode... Please bump me beginning of next week if you haven't heard back from me, I would appreciate.

bye,

Jean

intrikit

• Defiant Child
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 04:08:08 PM »
will do

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 02:55:53 AM »
Hi,

Ok, Something very important for anyone starting with Mecanim. It is quite a difficult beast to master properly for sure. So start in small incremental step and it's very important you read as much documentation as you can to get acquainted with the vocabulary and concepts. I had to go down that road too... :) You won't be able to hack Mecanim around...

animations can be of several types, if you start importing anims, you need to import them with type "humanoid" for them to be retargetable within mecanim. So select your anim, and in the "Rig" tab, pick "humanoid" for the animation Type, and click Apply.

Now that anim becomes possible to work with within your locomotion controller, and in states you can link now to that animation.

Bye,

Jean

intrikit

• Defiant Child
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 01:53:14 AM »
does the Play Animation action not work with Mecanim? Are the custom actions listed in the wiki for the Mecanim package the only ones compatible with using Mecanim?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 01:57:36 AM »
Hi,

No, "play animation" is to play regular legacy animations, not mecanim. and Yes, as far as I am aware, the wiki page on mecanim is the only package that will give you access to Mecanim features.

bye,

Jean

intrikit

• Defiant Child
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2013, 08:45:59 PM »
I see.. but we're talking animation-wise only, right? like, if i wanted to use Input actions that aren't listed in Playmaker Mecanim features, it will still work, correct?

I apologize these might seem like really basic questions but rest assured this stuff is all starting to make sense to me! ;D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 08:48:09 PM by intrikit »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 03:15:19 AM »
Hi,

Not sure what you mean here. User Input and Mecanim are completly separated, it's the job of the developer to bind both, so I guess the answer is yes.

Mecanim is powerful, so yes, it takes a little while to understand it.

Bye,

Jean

intrikit

• Defiant Child
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 04:12:17 AM »
thanks! yes i will watch all the videos.

i've been playing around with the actions and managed to get my player to walk, run, and face the proper direction in which it is heading. i attached a Smooth Follow Action to my camera to follow the character, however, with the Smooth Look At Direction Action, the camera also turns and faces the other way. This is supposed to be a side scroller so I want the camera to remain on the same side at all times. Any suggestions ?