playMaker

Author Topic: Action to dump debug state to device screen or log file easily  (Read 2933 times)

louismg

• Playmaker Newbie
Action to dump debug state to device screen or log file easily
« on: November 18, 2013, 01:50:11 PM »
Example: the touch events don't really fire "well" with the remote so it is difficult to use the debugger.

So for those times when you need to see what is going on in real time on a device, it would be nice to be able to quickly access the FSM information.  Here are a few approaches I can think of to do so:

1) add an action to a camera state.  You then simply specify one or more object/fsm and check variables to instantly get that debug data overlaid on the screen in real time on the device. Manually retrieving statuses and values, converting them to string and printing them is really long and tedious when you are hunting around and want to check many things.

2) Another alternative: have the app run in "dump" mode where you simply dump what is going on to a text file on the device that we can retrieve and check after the app has quit.  Of course you can make this as sophisticated as you want with filters and such. ;)

Or 3) remote inspect FSMs and variables over wifi as the app runs.  THAT would be awesome!   :P

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 03:53:58 PM by louismg »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Action to dump debug state to device screen or log file easily
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 01:05:45 AM »
Hi,

1) and 3) are good, but I would avoid 2), dumping data is like hell to study, I would definitly try everything else before ended up having to use logs...

bye,

Jean