playMaker

Author Topic: Universal iOS game.  (Read 4683 times)

HaraldsVeiss

• Junior Playmaker
Universal iOS game.
« on: February 13, 2014, 09:40:42 AM »
Hi!

I am looking since yesterday how to build universal iOS game, and can't really find the info on how to make all the graphics work. What I would like to know is:

1) How do I set up backgrounds that are correspondent to all iOS devices starting from iPhone 4 and iPad 2.

2) How do I Adjust GUI for different screen resolutions.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Best,
Haralds
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 11:39:11 AM by HaraldsVeiss »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Universal iOS game.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 11:40:58 PM »
Hi,

Tricky :), very tricky depending on the content.

first: retina vs non retina. I usually do everything retina, and then older device will simply by default scale everything by two. SOOOO everything has to be divideable by two, else you will have half pixels artifacts and all.

different screen ratios. Use screen anchoring, no absolute positioning, that's the only way.

both of the above can be done withotu any third party 2d plugins.... but really, if you have a lot of ui elements, I would strongly recommand you go for 2d toolkit  ( which supports multiple atlases for each resolution), or NGUI ( which has some additional plugins to have different atlases as well).

Also, depending on your content you will face major issues with camera field of view, and some camera settings will have to be different. so likely you won't be able to build an universal IOS app without tweaking values at least for the camera.

The other solution is to build your ui as separate scene that you load additively, each IOS device having its own UI scene. that's also a very good approach and a good way to create some very powerful frameworks.

bye,

Jean

HaraldsVeiss

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 05:50:34 AM »
Hi,

Thank you for answering!

Yes I decided to use retina art work as-well. I think I am going to go with the separate scene method. Could you describe me in the nutshell, how should I set it up, I just never have done that, so I'm not sure how exactly to do that.  :-\

Also I have one question about art work in general for iOS. I Have retina background (2049x1536), but when I put it in my scene it's really big, edges are out of the camera, and when I run and build it on my iPad 2 it doesn't scale down, the same happens with my character.

Sorry if I ask stupid questions, I'm just really new to all this.

bye,
Haralds

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 07:17:31 AM »
Hi,

The size of your texture doesn't matter if your camera is not set up correctly. OR if your sprite or guitexture is not set up properly.

Are you using a specific 2d kit? like ngui or 2d toolkit?

bye,

Jean

HaraldsVeiss

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 07:37:58 AM »
Ok, I adjusted camera and now everything looks as it should. No I am making every thing just using Unity and Playmaker as well as some scripting here and there, but no kits and NGUI.

Bye,
Haralds

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 10:52:54 AM »
Hi,

I strongly encourage you to actually use a framework, especially for IOS games. Unity GUI system will be very limiting and not that efficient in the end. It's more work yes but the final result will be better. It depends of course your needs, if you only have very few elements that should be fine of course.

bye,

Jean

HaraldsVeiss

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 11:38:53 AM »
Thank you for info. I already made my game universal, getting ready for deployment to app store as we speak.

Best,
Haralds

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 11:42:48 AM »
Cool.

keep us updated!

bye,

Jean