playMaker

Author Topic: Game analytics (Jean)  (Read 7599 times)

escpodgames

• Assets
Game analytics (Jean)
« on: April 27, 2014, 12:51:32 AM »
Hey Jean,

Just setting up Game analytics in my game using the inbuilt actions but noticed there is a task in Trello for Game analytics which you are currently 'doing'. What are the fixes? and should I stop setting up my analytics with the old actions (only using Design and Business events)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Game analytics (Jean)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 06:06:09 AM »
Hi,

I would wait indeed. It's a matter of few days and coordination before we get a release it seems.

It's not really just about "fixes", but more to come to par with the latest GA api and tools, as well as a tigther integration of PlayMaker and GA.

Bye,

Jean

escpodgames

• Assets
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 11:33:36 PM »
The newest version of game analytics is up on the asset store with the new playmaker integration for any of you who are looking at using it. Now to see what's new. Thx Jean!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 07:36:51 AM »
Hi,

You are welcomed :) don't hesitate to give us feedback on this as you progress in your implementation of GameAnalytics in your projects.

Bye,

Jean

jess84

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 05:38:09 PM »
I've just started implementing GameAnalytics into my project.

What is actually required in order to start seeing data on the dashboard on my game's page on the GameAnalytics.com site?

I signed up for my new account from within Unity, so all of my IDs and secret strings match my project on the website.

• I've got a GA_SystemTracker on my first screen, and it's marked as subsequent levels.
    I've got a Send Design Event on my level results screen

When playing my game in Unity, with the GA_StatusWindow open, I can see that it's submitted my Design event successfully.
I've also built and played my windows standalone and Android builds and played them through to the end of the first level.

Should this be enough to see *something* logged on my dashboard?

Annoyingly, they're having server problems at the moment (have been all day!), so I don't know whether my data was received and just not processed, or whether something isn't set up correctly and it's never going to appear.

Should my 2 steps be enough to see something?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 05:42:15 PM by jess84 »

jess84

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 06:05:09 AM »
Anyone?

My dashboard info still says no data, but the Unity window shows that info was successfully sent.  (Half of those events were sent 16 hours ago, the others, about 30mins ago).

escpodgames

• Assets
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 06:36:37 AM »
Most analytics services take 48hrs to update, this could be the case?

jess84

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 06:48:43 AM »
They say some elements take 24 hours, like custom events. But from what I read, standard data should be much, much quicker.

I guess I'll leave it until tomorrow.

From what I've listed about what I've done, that should be enough, right? I haven't missed any steps in order to be able to get data to GA systems?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 06:57:27 AM by jess84 »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 04:15:00 AM »
Hi,

You would get errors and feedback in the Unity console if things where not set up properly.

Bye,

Jean

jess84

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 10:06:19 AM »
Great.

And it's all working now.

They had (possibly still) some massive problems this week - e.g data from Friday not being processed until Monday afternoon! They say they've caught up with the backlog now, but the realtime data is still delayed a bit.

Now it's time to think about how to structure my custom events  :)

jess84

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 12:01:06 PM »
Looking at the GA site and their examples of custom Design Events
(http://support.gameanalytics.com/hc/en-us/articles/200841636-Creating-meaningful-custom-events)

In their example here:
Code: [Select]
An actual event sent to the server might look something like this:

{
   "user_id" : "8f64a3b5-84c9-4932-9715-48e9456654b1",
   "session_id" : "f81fc6bd-0d70-44f3-a3d2-9a3056d6d66f",
   "build" : "DesignTest",
   "event_id" : "Death:Weapon:Shotgun",
   "value" : 15,
   "area" : "Level 1",
   "x" : 13.7,
   "y" : 172.6,
   "z" : 76.1
}

How would this be possible when the PlayMaker action 'Send Design Event' doesn't contain a field for 'Area'. ?

Should the PM action have this field?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 12:39:04 AM »
Hi,

as it says, this is how it looks "on the server".

"area" is defined by default as your level name, but you can use "Set custom area"
"user_id" is defined internally by default, but you can override it using "Set Custom User ID"

"session_id" is internal only.
"build" is a property within the GamAnalytics settings ( where you put the key and secret key).

Bye,

Jean

jess84

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 07:20:47 AM »
Thanks, I'll experiment with that  :)

Next question : To get all of my events into  the GA system, do I have to manually play through my build so it submits each metric?  Or is there a way of submitting everything automatically?  I want to set up my filters and reports on the GA website,  but obviously it doesn't list my custom events yet...  It's only showing the handful that I unlocked accidentally when testing my game.

jess84

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 09:12:57 AM »
The 'Set Custom Area' action, how should it be used?

In the same state as the Send Design Event? Above it and set as an Action Sequence?

Is it cleared the next time I send a different Design Event? (e.g. defaulting back to the default)

From a user's point of view, it would have been more user-friendly to have this field as an optional field on the Send Design Event field rather than a seperate action.

jess84

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 06:13:49 AM »
Bump.

Some guidance on how/where to use Set Custom Area would be much appreciated. I understand what it does from the documentation and what Jean has written here,  but how/when/how often to use the action is not clear and is not documented.

Thanks.