playMaker

Author Topic: uGUI Actions: will they come and when?  (Read 6539 times)

doppelmonster

• Grinder Games
uGUI Actions: will they come and when?
« on: August 25, 2014, 09:36:11 AM »
Hello,
I would like to ask if there are plans to support the new Unity GUI and if yes when the actions might be available?

As I used DF-GUI before and they recently stopped selling the asset, i am stuck and unsure how to go on with my current project.....

Laralyn

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: uGUI Actions: will they come and when?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 12:35:35 AM »
I have the same question! I'm about to start a port of a Ludum Dare project to iOS, and am considering a switch from NGUI to the new Unity GUI. Thanks!

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 05:45:19 PM »
As a work around until actions are made, the new uGUI seems to mesh just fine with Playmaker out of the box. The event system plugs in seamlessly.

As an example, drag your gameobject with fsm into the onclick slot of a button. Then in the drop down to the right of that, choose the Playmaker FSM component and SendEvent (string.) Then just fill in the name of any event in the FSM that you want to fire when the button is clicked.

If you want something besides onClick, add an "Event Trigger" component to your button. This works the same way as the above example, except you have access to hovering and pressing etc.
More templates on the Unity Asset Store!

Disclosure: We are using affiliate links to our assets; we may receive a commission for purchases made through them. This helps us to continue developing and maintaining great products!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 01:52:59 AM »
Hi,

thanks GRaham for your insight, indeed, a lot is already there ptetty much.

Problem 1: uGUi is still in beta and documentation is totally lacking, nothing.... so it's difficult to get a proper overview and do the right thing

Problem 2: building something too soon may means a lot of rework and action brekaing all over the place... so twice the work and unhappy end users....

I saw a post on getting actions for set and get text, I'll get started with this, typically, it's better if you ask for a precise support within ugui then a global support, it's just overwhelming otherwise.

Bye,

Jean

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 08:45:43 AM »
Get Property and Set Property work wonders for managing uGUI text if anyone is looking for a workaround in the meantime.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 08:49:17 AM by Graham »

Disclosure: We are using affiliate links to our assets; we may receive a commission for purchases made through them. This helps us to continue developing and maintaining great products!

jess84

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 11:49:43 AM »
Hi,

thanks GRaham for your insight, indeed, a lot is already there ptetty much.

Problem 1: uGUi is still in beta and documentation is totally lacking, nothing.... so it's difficult to get a proper overview and do the right thing

Not entirely true. 

Release notes for Beta 18:

Documentation

Manual
Link to UI Section from front page
UI System
UI Overview
Updated: UIAutoLayout
Updated: UIBasicLayout
UI Reference
Updated: ContentSizeFilter
Updated: GridLayoutGroup
Updated: HorizontalLayoutGroup
Updated: LayoutElement
Updated: VerticalLayoutGroup
UI HowTos
Added: UIFitContentSize
Added: UICreateFromScript
Updated: UIWorldSpace
ToDo: UIScreenTransitions

jess84

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 02:58:27 PM »
As a work around until actions are made, the new uGUI seems to mesh just fine with Playmaker out of the box. The event system plugs in seamlessly.

As an example, drag your gameobject with fsm into the onclick slot of a button. Then in the drop down to the right of that, choose the Playmaker FSM component and SendEvent (string.) Then just fill in the name of any event in the FSM that you want to fire when the button is clicked.

If you want something besides onClick, add an "Event Trigger" component to your button. This works the same way as the above example, except you have access to hovering and pressing etc.

Hmm... this isn't working seamlessly for me.

If I create a new FSM on my uGUI object, then the onClick's are received fine.

However if I copy & paste an existing FSM (from my old GUI object) and put it on my uGUI item, it doesn't recognise any onClick events. (even though it's the exact same receiving global event, and effective the same FSM)

Something weird is going on there. I guess to transfer things across, you have to select your states and copy&paste those, rather than right-clicking and selecting Copy FSM as that's borking things.

>:(

jess84

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 03:56:46 PM »
Hmm, the onClick Events > PlayMaker FSMs seems like quite a mess.  As well as my reproduceable problem, I'm frequently ending up with onClick events not being sent/received just when adding/removing FSMs from my button.

Seems like quite a mess. Think I'll leave it all alone until a more stable release. (I was using Beta 17, as I thought that'd be more stable than 18)

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 11:57:19 PM »
Yeh that's the version I tried it on. I am also going to wait for the final build before I really dive into it.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 02:14:02 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for th etip on the doc Jess84, that's very good news!

Bye,

Jean