playMaker

Author Topic: Match 3 Prototype  (Read 16495 times)

marcos

• 1.2 Beta
Match 3 Prototype
« on: September 09, 2014, 04:21:33 AM »
Hey,

Another little prototype I'm tinkering with. A line drawing match 3:

Right now it's just the main linking system, there's no real game or danger. So that's next on the list to be added.

I have an idea for a theme and style, but for now i'm just making sure everything works well.

Mark

escpodgames

• Assets
Re: Match 3 Prototype
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 05:14:37 AM »
Very cool!

marcos

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 07:04:57 AM »
Very cool!

Cheers!

The real question is what is the mathematical probability of something like this happening?

Because that could ruin someone's day.

Really though, what would be the chance? 5 gem types, 6x6 grid. Any maths geniuses out there?

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 07:53:29 AM »
That looks cool dude!

I wouldn't worry about the locked grid, with 6x6 the likelyhood of a 5 color layout with no 3 squares of the same color within 9 spaces is ... super.. super low.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 10:48:49 AM »
Smooth! Nicely done.
More templates on the Unity Asset Store!

Disclosure: We are using affiliate links to our assets; we may receive a commission for purchases made through them. This helps us to continue developing and maintaining great products!

coffeeANDsoda

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 06:20:46 PM »
Hey,

Right now it's just the main linking system, there's no real game or danger. So that's next on the list to be added.

I have an idea for a theme and style, but for now i'm just making sure everything works well.

Mark

How did you do this in playmaker?

marcos

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 10:09:48 PM »
That looks cool dude!

I wouldn't worry about the locked grid, with 6x6 the likelyhood of a 5 color layout with no 3 squares of the same color within 9 spaces is ... super.. super low.

Cheers, mate!

haha yeah, I was thinking if it is an infinitesimally small chance, i'll just leave it. If some poor person manages to get a grid like that, they should probably just stay in bed that day  ;D

Smooth! Nicely done.

Thanks! It's nice to do a more straightforward project for a change.

Hey,

Mark

The bulk of it is Arraymaker.

For the linking, the first gem you click and drag on gets its tag stored, then whenever you drag over another gem it'll test against that string.  To backtrack i just test if it's the second last object, then remove the last entry from the currently linked gems array.

Then I've got game object arrays for each column, and then vector 3 arrays for the corresponding desired positions of each of the gems, which seemed more straightforward than doing the positions programmatically.

The line is just FlyingRobot's Arraylist Line Renderer action, but I'm going to figure a different solution out for that, as the line renderer doesn't have a consistent width when turning corners and so on.

coffeeANDsoda

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 12:08:58 AM »
That looks cool dude!

Cheers, mate!

haha yeah, I was thinking if it is an infinitesimally small chance, i'll just leave it. If some poor person manages to get a grid like that, they should probably just stay in bed that day  ;D

Smooth! Nicely done.

Thanks! It's nice to do a more straightforward project for a change.

Hey,

Mark

The bulk of it is Arraymaker.

For the linking, the first gem you click and drag on gets its tag stored, then whenever you drag over another gem it'll test against that string.  To backtrack i just test if it's the second last object, then remove the last entry from the currently linked gems array.

Then I've got game object arrays for each column, and then vector 3 arrays for the corresponding desired positions of each of the gems, which seemed more straightforward than doing the positions programmatically.

The line is just FlyingRobot's Arraylist Line Renderer action, but I'm going to figure a different solution out for that, as the line renderer doesn't have a consistent width when turning corners and so on.

For the colors, did you make color global variables? I ask this because awhile back I was trying to figure out how to make a match 3 game via playmaker.

marcos

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 12:51:47 AM »

For the colors, did you make color global variables? I ask this because awhile back I was trying to figure out how to make a match 3 game via playmaker.

They're just prefabs with different tags.

xhidnoda

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 10:23:27 AM »
Cool gameplay dude!
When the game end? In for Android/IOS as well?

marcos

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 12:07:18 AM »
Cool gameplay dude!
When the game end? In for Android/IOS as well?

Cheers!

The 'gems' are going to make your character perform different actions. Basically it'll be about getting the highest score possible before you die. A sort of strategic match 3.

Yeah, this will be for both platforms!

Also, this happened:

Easiest fix would be to make it so that you only need to match 2 gems to make a link, but that might be too easy.

I could also do some kind of crazy checking system that cycles through all of the gems and checks if there are possible links. If it finds a match of 3 it stops the check, and if it doesn't it refreshes the gems. I'd need a lot of coffee for that, though.

xhidnoda

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 09:36:52 AM »
GO GO GO  ;D

xhidnoda

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 09:38:56 AM »
GO GO GO  ;D

marcos

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 07:04:17 AM »
Little update:

Still no real graphics in game, but I put in the danger that you need to manage whilst aiming for the highest score.

Basically you attack for 7 turns (links), then the enemy has a chance to attack you for a few turns. If you defeat the enemy (no animation or anything yet), your turns are refreshed.

The gems do the following:

Red - Charge up your power
Green - Charge your block
Blue - Punch the enemy
Black - Fireball the enemy for unblockable damage.
Yellow - Coins, do nothing right now

When you attack, your power goes down, and the enemy block is removed. When you fireball, your power is removed after being used.

Might be a bit esoteric to everyone except me at the moment, but that's where I'm at.

I'm also thinking about adding another gameplay element, just to add a bit more interest, not necessarily a complex strategic thing though. It might end up just being something that modifies the gems or converts some to one type. Not sure yet!

Mark

blackant

• http://blackantmaster.com
    • blackantmaster.com
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 02:59:11 AM »
nice work, you have something strong in your hands.