playMaker

Author Topic: ArrayMaker is now available [April 2021]  (Read 175798 times)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
ArrayMaker is now available [April 2021]
« on: October 28, 2011, 03:24:09 AM »
Hi Everyone,

So... you want arrays and hashtables with playmaker?! then this is for you. I have made a fully functionnal system to easily work with arrays and hashtable within playmaker. You can get the package on the wiki here:

https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W715

you can get it directly from the Ecosystem now!

Also, thanks to Sebastian alvarez for making screencasts videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SBuH1vxC7A

Basically, there is two proxy components that you create either during authoring or during runtime ( custom actions available to do so right within playmaker). Then  with a full set of custom actions, you can do everything you normally do with arrays and hashtable but within playmaker.

The good thing is that the array and hashtable proxy component feature a custom editor so that you can pre fill content during authoring, making it very easy.

I originally planned to release this on the asset store, but I have to be realistic, this is not the right time for me: I would not be able to provide a good enough support. when I will get some downtime work wise, It might make it with some more goodies.

Several samples are available with this package using most if not all the custom actions, some are just "unit test" to make sure the system works as expected, some xample are more "fun to watch" like "PlayMakerSamples/Addons/ArrayMaker/ArrayList/GameObjectPositionning"

This sample creates as much cubes as you define in an array ( using a position), and also set it's color again from a another array. As they fall, each cube set back it's position to the array, so that you can watch in real time the position of cube being set in that original array. Furthermore, if you modify the colors from the array, the related cube will update its color in real time! ( note, in the unity preferences, uncheck "use OS X color picker" for an even more granular color update, the osX picker only update when you mouse up on the a color, not while you are mouse down).

If you have any questions, use this forum and put in the title "ArrayMaker"

There are few more things to do like help sections for each custom actions, screencasts to explain the basics, and generally some script improvements ( not happy with many aspect of it, so lots of room for enhancements).

Enjoy,

Jean
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 02:43:25 AM by jeanfabre »

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
Re: ArrayMaker is now available
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 03:40:23 AM »
Cool Jean thanks!!

Look forward to playing with it this week.

Q

tobbeo

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 03:41:33 AM »
Very cool Jean! You are awesome for sharing this with everyone for free. I know if I start using Arrays in my game it would speed up the creation and modification of a lot of stuff.

Duffdaddy

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 05:57:01 AM »
Woa, you've been busy. So much for time-off. Well done.

MaDDoX

• 1.2 Beta
    • FluidPlay Studios
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 01:27:47 AM »
Well, what can I say, you just blew my socks off. Ingenious, generous and super-handy, congratulations and many thanks Jean :)
--
Breno "MaDDoX" Azevedo
@brenoazevedo

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 06:30:18 AM »
Thanks! Very motivating to hear your comments!

I still think that the custom editor for the array proxies need a more flexible interface for creating, editing, organising, and deleting content during editing, and why not when playing too. But at the same time i'd like to also build a xml proxy with some xpath support for reading, accessing and creating xml, that would be very very cool! A database proxy also would be nice... So much to do! I have also at the back of my mind an fsm exporter that would render in html 5 for easier sharing of content, so that we can better show and share fsm stuff conveniently, and also be able to provide some kind of documentation system for what we build inside playmaker.

Sigh... :)

Bye,

Jean

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 01:33:26 AM »
Hi,

Just made a stress test of ArrayMaker with an array of 58000 + items and all is well at 400 FPS. this is actually very positive, it means I haven't spoiled the raw power available in unity and PlayMaker with my poor code  :P

You can follow the thread here:

http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=891.msg3666#msg3666

Bye,

Jean

Duffdaddy

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 03:20:07 AM »
Gotta love Playmaker for allowing open integration like this.
And of course nice add-ons like arraymaker!
I think thats why I love it so much. Such simplicity and such power! Muuah-ha-ha! ;D

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 06:25:40 AM »
Hi,

New version of ArrayMaker with a new sample for a word search featuring the new text asset split system.

Package available here:

https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W715

Bye,

Jean

marcos

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 12:13:37 AM »
Holy smokes this just gave me a thousand game ideas!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 02:13:48 AM »
:) eh eh!

And wait, more is coming, like csv and xml parsing, xpath etc etc, so that basically data handling in playmaker becomes natural and fun.

Bye,

Jean

Red

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 06:07:03 PM »
Now for the million dollar question from those of us that are eternal newbs...

would you be able to put together a tutorial or detailed lesson plan to help teach us how to use it to it's fullest? ;)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 01:07:29 AM »
Hi,

Yes, I seriously need to allocate time for this and create a step by step tutorial and a screencast as well.

Meanwhile you might have  specific problem?

Have you been able to attach a array component to a gameObject?
Have you been able to prefill the array with values?
Have you been able to find and use any of the custom actions related to working with arrayMaker? for example counting the number of items in the array?

or maybe you are already further and need explanations on design patterns?

Have you looked at the examples provided with the arrayMaker? in playmakerSamples/Addons/ArraList/

In there you have several scenese ranging from test cases to more advance usage.

I am not trying to get away with this instead of making a tut or a screencast, I just want to know where you are stuck so that I can better target the tutorial level of explanation and possibly help you out the best I can right now.

Bye,

Jean

Red

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 07:49:34 AM »
well, for starters, whenever i try to create/use the arrayMaker features, it keeps throwing an error saying "GameObject requires PlayMakerArrayListProxy component." even when copying and pasting the FSMs from the example scenes.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 12:50:02 AM »
Hi,

Does the gameObject in question indeed has such PlayMakerArrayListProxy component? If not, select that gameObject in question, then add such component via the menu (PlayMaker Add ons/ArrayMaker/Add ArrayList Proxy to selected Objects).

Then you'll be able to enjoy all the related custom actions ( that is actions listed under "ArrayMaker/ArrayList"

If you do actually have that component, make sure the reference field is either empty or if set needs to be stipulated in the action you are using. This is used when several similar component feature on a single GameObject to differenciate them.

Else, what feature exactly are you trying to use?

Bye,

Jean