playMaker

Author Topic: My Summer Car (Win, PC)  (Read 20980 times)

• Junior Playmaker
My Summer Car (Win, PC)
« on: October 24, 2014, 07:57:44 PM »

Hi! I wanted to share a little (not really...) project that I've been developing for about an year. It is basically a very in-depth car fixing and tuning simulator. The game has emphasis in two different areas, one is the car building and the other is to experience the everlasting summer of a young person at the Finnish countryside.

You could say that in this game Street Rod meets Gone Home.

The game is entirely made with Playmaker as I have little or no knowledge about coding. Without PM I could not have ever been able to begin, or even think about project like this. So far, it has been smooth ride :)

Game is very complex, I haven't kept up with counts but it consists easily few hundred parallel FSM's with still very exceptional performance. It is a true statement for how powerful tool PM can be.

My YT channel has some in-progress videos, this being the latest:
You can also follow updates at projects Twitter page: https://twitter.com/RoyalJohnLove

I am closing the final stages of the car simulation / build off, and after that I will move on to develop the environment and world around the player. Note that graphics are also very much in progress :)

• Beta Group
    • Flashing Lights
Re: My Summer Car (Win, PC)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 08:15:05 AM »
This is awesome, I like it!

The main feature is to set up a car, I would ruin it by accident as Im no good to fix cars :D
Super features that you can put stuff in the trunk and my favorite - you can tune in a radio in car from first person view, thats cool, with volume adjustment.

Stack your things in the trunk and hit the road :D
Will keep an eye on this :)

Btw: are you thinking about a car damage system? With all those spare parts that sounds very complex.

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 07:04:09 PM »
There is regular type vertex damage for the body parts, and then wearing of the mechanical parts. There is also type of damage where you drop parts which are not properly bolted on, but it is not yet fully implemented to all parts :)

I am approaching the car dashboard similar way to some flight simulators and other cockpit simulators, because I believe it is not yet done similar way in car games.

• Beta Group
    • Flashing Lights
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 06:01:36 AM »
Cool, Im using BlendShapes on my models to animate deformations on collisions.
I will have to explore more about "vertex damage" methods..

Im also looking at Mega-Fiers at asset store. Good mesh deformation adds a lot of realism to a game. Not for my budged right now, maybe later, so I stuck with blendshapes :)

Good luck on the game!

• Beta Group
    • Flashing Lights
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 07:28:06 AM »
Sorry for necro post, but this is so alive :D

Hey! Congrats on the release on Steam!!
Looks really good and fun game!
Was it finished using Playmaker mostly?

And the trailer… loving it!!

Saw it featured on YouTube by Jeff Favignano:

Omninorm

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 03:54:55 PM »
All with Playmaker?
WoW!

Amazing work man. I had to smile at th valve adjustments etc. Make me think of my old VW Buggy I had :D

nallez

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 12:00:18 AM »
Congrats on getting rich with that game!

Over 110.000 paying customers 15€ each! (of which steam takes ~30%)!

Go Finland! :)

ps. Bought it for my Steam-library too and fiddled a little around with it. Very nice indeed. No time to play atm, since own game projects are in the way, but I'm sure I'll have alot of fun with it in the future! :)