playMaker

Author Topic: trying wall jumping but having problems  (Read 2173 times)

nemirc

• Playmaker Newbie
trying wall jumping but having problems
« on: November 19, 2014, 12:14:29 PM »
Hello all, I'm trying to set up a wall jumping, after my character is on a "climbing state." My problem is somewhat weird so it's better if I show it to you;

It'd seem my character is being "pulled" to the position where it was before it jumped to the wall as soon as it leaves the "walljumping" state.

I am using a cylinder with a character controller component attached to it, so I can use the "controller simple move" to move it. For the jumping I use a translate action on Y with an animated float, and a controller simple move on top of those so it keeps on moving (if I just use the translate on Y, the character will stop moving, jump, and then continue moving).
For the wall climbing I'm using a simple translate action using the horizontal and vertical inputs to move it on its local axes X and Y.
Then the wall jump is a simple translate using Y and -Z on its local axes, so it jumps "up and backwards." I set a delay so it moves a little in the jump direction before going back to walk.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

ViRiX Dreamcore

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: trying wall jumping but having problems
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 09:53:16 PM »
Hmm... Maybe try using a force to do the jump. I think when you use translate, it wants to put it back to where it was. Have it use a push force in a certain direction so it's like you're actually pushing off of a wall. See if that works.

You could use a force for jumping too. Just have it so that you can only press the jump button a certain number of times within a time frame.

Let me know if that works.

nemirc

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: trying wall jumping but having problems
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 10:18:17 AM »
I somewhat tried that but it seems having a Controller component and a Rigid Body component causes some problems. Right now I've scrapped everything and began to make a new controller using exclusively a rigid body, but I'm having a problem where sometimes my character falls veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery slooooooooooowly. For example, if I just use an impulse upwards to jump, everything works fine, but if I get into the climbing state and then press the "drop" button to switch to my walking state, it falls extremely slowly (I turn off gravity to make the character "stick" to the wall without falling, and then turn it back on when it "drops").

Is it possible to just use a "hybrid" so I can use rigid bodies for some things and the controller for others, and swap between the two?