playMaker

Author Topic: Do playmaker nodes compile down to .cs files?  (Read 6331 times)

cj31387

• Playmaker Newbie
Do playmaker nodes compile down to .cs files?
« on: December 31, 2014, 05:46:23 AM »
I'm a programmer, I see this is on sale and could speed up prototyping, but I'm curious if what you make in playmaker can be or is then converted to .cs files that you can manually edit with C#.

Also does the photon networking work on unity free version, I've read that it was only on unity3d pro, but that post is a year old, and PUN+ has always worked on unity free version.

wheretheidivides

Re: Do playmaker nodes compile down to .cs files?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 10:38:58 PM »
lane or jean will answer this but I THINK it's no for C# conversion.  Playmaker is another scripting language like, boo, c# or javascript.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 03:39:11 AM »
Hi,

Nop, PlayMaker doesn't compile into c# the result of the fsms you have visually built. For this you'll need to look at other solutions such as InvertGames uFrame system, or dedicated fsm done in pur c#.

Having said that, the amazing trick that PlayMaker does is that ALL actions are in c#, and so PlayMaker is only here to expose the logic of states and events, and leave everything else to regular c#, which I think is very close to be the ideal sweet spot for developers.

So, in short, you'll keep using PlayMaker visual fsm editor, but you can create your own actions to do anything you want, all in c#. youc an check this forum for custom actions, or the wiki to study the typical content of actions, they should be seen as lego blocks doing very granular and reusable tasks.

Bye,

Jean

Bye,

Jean

wheretheidivides

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 02:37:30 PM »
Jean, this is a longshot, but do you think there will support for making actions in javascript?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 02:59:53 PM »
Hi,

It's totally compatible already, since day One actually. you can write PlayMaker Actions in js, not a problem.

Bye,

Jean

wheretheidivides

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 05:10:09 PM »
jean, is there a link on how to make a playmaker action?  I know javascript (wrote my last game in it).

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 07:43:16 PM »
There is an API Reference section on the wiki which includes some helpful links near the bottom that should help show the way forward. I believe its all in C#, but if you already know js then you can likely adapt after reviewing this section.

Lane
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

Gua

• Beta Group
    • Andrii Vintsevych
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 08:15:23 AM »
The fact that Playmaker doesn't need to compile any code is it's huge advantage. I've recently started editing some scripts and it blows my mind that after every small change I need wait for 30 seconds for code to compile, just to hit play button and wait another 30+ seconds. I wouldn't be able to make games if I was forced to use that workflow, or at least I wouldn't be able to make games ambitious games on my own.

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 08:38:13 AM »
Compiling is annoying. I am using script inspector 3 for Unity, which is pretty cool. Its compile times are more reasonable and you don't need to leave unity. It also uses intellesence, etc. The thing I do feel it is missing is VS's "peek".

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/3535

I mostly use this to write my playmaker actions, except when I need to write something very long or need the peek function.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 02:02:02 AM »
Hi,

I don't think compile time is affected by what editor you used to edit scripts, Unity compiles scripts with its own internal framework.

Bye,

Jean