playMaker

Author Topic: 2.5D Arcade Platformer  (Read 26537 times)

coffeeANDsoda

Re: 2.5D Arcade Platformer
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 02:04:51 PM »
How do you feel about the audio in this build? Too loud, or good enough?

marcos

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2015, 11:37:29 PM »
How do you feel about the audio in this build? Too loud, or good enough?

Some bits were too loud, some were fine. Not really going to touch the audio levels until all of the sound is in the game. Though having said that, I did lower the volume on some things that got annoying whilst i was testing  ;D

Managed to do a little bit of work over the weekend:

- Blocked out some graphics
- Changed bird AI, they now fly to the side, swoop after you, then fly to the other side, whilst firing birdlasers at you
- The immune melee guy didn't fit in with the gameplay, so I changed him to be an enemy that requires one hit to weaken before you can bounce a second time to defeat him.
- Boulders have graphics + particles. Will likely repaint the texture once all of the graphics are in place and I need to think more carefully about colour scheme.

Latest Webplayer:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82743416/AvoisionULTRA/Marky%20Bola%20-%20Avoision.html

And an updated gameplay video:

Next up is figuring out what the theme of the game should be, and then letting that guide the character design and so on.

coffeeANDsoda

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2015, 11:50:00 PM »
Then theirs setting up a key frame animations for the characters. Had a play. So are planning up making your own textures to finalize/complete the water physics?

marcos

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 12:18:15 AM »
Everything will be hand painted in the final. Not entirely sold on the BG, so I don't yet know what it will be :)

coffeeANDsoda

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 12:53:20 AM »
Is it complicated for a person to create water prefab? Or would it be as simple as attaching the premade water sample c# script and adding a few textures to animate?

marcos

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 03:47:04 AM »
Not entirely sure, that water was just from the particle FX pack I used.

Gotten a bit done, migrated the project to Unity 5 and added a bunch of little things like particles and so on. I've also been working on this little guy:

This will be the enemy that you have to bounce on twice to defeat. Still very WIP, lots of lookdev to be done. Ideally I want to find a nice place between hand painted texturing and PBR surfaces.

coffeeANDsoda

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 03:58:34 AM »
With the face of each enemy, is the polycount pretty medium or is it lowish, around 1,800? To tell you the truth, I haven't done much with modeling character faces compared to basic objects and pretty basic textures.

marcos

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 08:01:56 PM »
Snail is 1136 verts I think, might go higher on PC, and lower on mobiles.

Here's a new web player, would love some feedback:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82743416/Avoision5/Marky%20Bola%20-%20Avoision.html

Updates:
- Changed the one-way platforms to be Unity 5 Platform Effectors, they feel a lot nicer now.
- Made the camera feel a lot better
- All the sounds now use the Unity 5 system, instead of Sound Manager Pro (which was awesome, thanks AntiLunchBox!)

I'm yet to find a spot on the level that you can exploit to get a higher score, but if anyone manages to find a sweet spot, let me know! ;)

coffeeANDsoda

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 08:09:55 PM »
Being frustrated with unity bugs on my end, took a look at this live demo you posted.

Did you make the number fonts yourself? I have inkscape sitting around my computer but couldn't figure out how to properly make my own fonts.

I think it is interesting. Have any other ideas for enemies in game?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 08:16:30 PM by coffeeANDsoda »

PlaymakerNOOB

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2015, 07:40:45 PM »
Based on the level design, i thought it was super crate box/Muffin Knight.

I was quite surprised when I played.  The gameplay feels similar to the above, however without weapons the challenge of "jump" only feel appropriate.

I did notice that, when you single jump on an enemy the enemy does not despawn until you basically land.  Thats not really a big deal until you reach the point around 15-20 coins in and the gameplay begins to ramp up.

marcos

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 03:19:34 AM »
Being frustrated with unity bugs on my end, took a look at this live demo you posted.

Did you make the number fonts yourself? I have inkscape sitting around my computer but couldn't figure out how to properly make my own fonts.

I think it is interesting. Have any other ideas for enemies in game?

Font is just a free one from the internet.

Got some ideas, have to wait to see though ;)

Based on the level design, i thought it was super crate box/Muffin Knight.

I was quite surprised when I played.  The gameplay feels similar to the above, however without weapons the challenge of "jump" only feel appropriate.

I did notice that, when you single jump on an enemy the enemy does not despawn until you basically land.  Thats not really a big deal until you reach the point around 15-20 coins in and the gameplay begins to ramp up.

Thanks. Yeah, it's basically a risk/reward thing of clearing out some enemies to give yourself more space, but there's obviously a chance that you'll miss a jump or something. :)

The delayed despawn is so that when the final models are in I'll play an animation before they pop. The enemy itself gets moved to a different layer which can't collide with the enemy, so it has zero impact on the gameplay aside from a bit of a visual distraction.

marcos

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2015, 09:12:42 PM »
Tried making it 2D, but didn't like it, decided it's time to knuckle down and smash out the 3D art in my spare time.

In the meantime, here's a new high score! (And I suppose the 2D character I made to try that style out):

coffeeANDsoda

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2015, 09:53:42 PM »
Tried making it 2D, but didn't like it, decided it's time to knuckle down and smash out the 3D art in my spare time.

In the meantime, here's a new high score! (And I suppose the 2D character I made to try that style out):

Do you plan on expanding length of the levels? Or do you feel it works just fine with the small donkey kong smash bros stage approach?

marcos

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2015, 11:49:48 PM »
Zero plans. That would be an entirely different game. I might make more stages if it actually gets a player base.

marcos

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2015, 07:22:56 AM »
Blocking out some graphics, slightly prettier now.