playMaker

Author Topic: String Variable issue  (Read 3458 times)

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
String Variable issue
« on: January 18, 2012, 12:45:03 AM »
I would swear i asked this a while ago but i can not find anything on it at all..

I use an Action that does language look up for me. I store the result it gives me in a variable. Now i need to set the color of the text as well but for some reason the variable i get back does not work with PM actions.. I can see the variable contents in the Variables section of the editor when running. I can use the variable to pass text directly to EZ Gui but if i try to so a Set String or Build String with them they are just blank.

What could that be?

Q

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: String Variable issue
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 12:53:19 AM »
hi,

can you rephrase or make screenshots? I am not sure I understand. Or maybe can you give me some steps so that I can reproduce?

Bye,

Jean

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 01:16:09 AM »
Well not sure i can have you reproduce as it uses a custom script.. I guess i could PM you the script to try..

It gets stranger.. I use this script on another project that i am currently building on my PC. So i open that project to test this issue. It works fine. Then i make a New Object and new PM with just my Get Text Action that returns a string from a CSV file and a Build Script Action just to test adding another string to it and it does not work there either... So existing PM script on existing gameobject works fine but New gameobject and new PM script does not work..

Hmmm i will make a new PM script on an existing object and see if that works..

Q

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 01:20:51 AM »
Ok new FSM on existing gameobject that has an FSM it works on does not work either..

I know that sounds confusing..

Q

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 01:51:05 AM »
Ok... so i think i figured it out... It is an initialization thing of some kind... If i put a delay on the Reading the text inputs then it works fine. Even though the variable that i read my data into shows the data... PM cant seem to work with it or something because the Set up Script for the Dictionaries is maybe not quite complete or something....

So i guess i just have to make sure my Dictionary set up scripts are absolutely first in line..

If i set the Build String action to Every Frame then it works too... And the Read from the Dictionary is only once... So that means that it works the first time but the Build String does not.. It needs to be run again or just have a delay between the Dictionary set up Action and Reading values i guess..

So there you go. Mystery solved and that is why it would work some times and not others. it depended on the timing.

Q

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 03:08:18 AM »
Hi,

Well, could you still send me a sample if you can, I'd like to make sure of where the issue is. I don't see where the lag or the need to have a next frame or timing event should be.

Bye,

Jean