playMaker

Author Topic: Confusion on Unity 5 support  (Read 6033 times)

jwvanderbeck

• Playmaker Newbie
Confusion on Unity 5 support
« on: August 30, 2015, 10:51:37 PM »
I started a new Unity 5 project and imported the Playmaker asset.  since doing that it constantly throws warnings, not errors, into my console and acts like it is trying to "upgrade" constantly.  Since this is a new project and not an old one, I am not sure why this is.

How do I get things "clean"?

Code: [Select]
Assets/PlayMaker/Actions/Network/PlayMakerRPCProxy.cs(14,6): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.RPC' is obsolete: `NetworkView RPC functions are deprecated. Refer to the new Multiplayer Networking system.'

(Filename: Assets/PlayMaker/Actions/Network/PlayMakerRPCProxy.cs Line: 14)

Assets/PlayMaker/Actions/Network/SendRemoteEvent.cs(54,45): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.NetworkView.RPC(string, UnityEngine.RPCMode, params object[])' is obsolete: `NetworkView RPC functions are deprecated. Refer to the new Multiplayer Networking system.'

(Filename: Assets/PlayMaker/Actions/Network/SendRemoteEvent.cs Line: 54)

Assets/PlayMaker/Actions/Network/SendRemoteEvent.cs(58,45): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.NetworkView.RPC(string, UnityEngine.RPCMode, params object[])' is obsolete: `NetworkView RPC functions are deprecated. Refer to the new Multiplayer Networking system.'

(Filename: Assets/PlayMaker/Actions/Network/SendRemoteEvent.cs Line: 58)

Assets/PlayMaker/Actions/Network/SendRemoteEventByProxy.cs(54,29): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.NetworkView.RPC(string, UnityEngine.RPCMode, params object[])' is obsolete: `NetworkView RPC functions are deprecated. Refer to the new Multiplayer Networking system.'

(Filename: Assets/PlayMaker/Actions/Network/SendRemoteEventByProxy.cs Line: 54)

Assets/PlayMaker/Actions/Network/SendRemoteEventByProxy.cs(58,29): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.NetworkView.RPC(string, UnityEngine.RPCMode, params object[])' is obsolete: `NetworkView RPC functions are deprecated. Refer to the new Multiplayer Networking system.'

(Filename: Assets/PlayMaker/Actions/Network/SendRemoteEventByProxy.cs Line: 58)

Assets/PlayMaker/Editor/AboutWindow.cs(37,13): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.EditorWindow.title' is obsolete: `Use titleContent instead (it supports setting a title icon as well).'

Assets/PlayMaker/Editor/PlayMakerUpgradeGuide.cs(38,20): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.EditorWindow.title' is obsolete: `Use titleContent instead (it supports setting a title icon as well).'

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Confusion on Unity 5 support
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 02:48:18 AM »
Hi,

Are you sure you got the latest version from the AssetStore? make sure when you create a new Unity 5 project that you install PlayMaker from the Asset store, as it's actually two different builds.

Bye,

Jean

jwvanderbeck

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 03:46:16 PM »
That is exactly what I did.

I created a new Unity 5 project.  Then I went into the Asset Store window, to my Download Manager.  I clicked Download on Playmaker, which I assume downloaded the latest version, and then I clicked Import.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 10:10:48 PM »
Unity is introducing a new networking system and depreciating the old one. The warnings are a way to start moving people to the new system, but the old system should continue to work.

We're working on supporting the new system. The first step will separate out the network code so you can "turn it off." Until then I'm afraid you will have to live with the warnings.

There is a workaround using the plugin importer settings, but it's a little messy. Basically you want to use the WebGL PlayMaker.dll since it has networking removed:
  • Select Plugins\PlayMaker\PlayMaker.dll and uncheck the platforms you're developing for.
  • Select Plugins\PlayMaker\WebGL\PlayMaker.dll and check the platforms you're developing for.
  • In the Unity's Player Settings edit "Scripting Define Symbols" to include UNITY_WEBGL

NOTE, UNITY_WEBGL effects some other actions also (E.g., MovieTexture, Substance). We'll be adding an OLD_NETWORKING define to the networking actions so we can isolate those.

Sorry for the inconvenience while we work to support the new networking system...

jwvanderbeck

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 10:55:46 PM »
What about the bit about the window title?

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 01:54:18 AM »
The window title warning will be fixed in the next update. It's also harmless. Unity is being a little more aggressive in their depreciated warnings these days...

If you want to edit the files you can make these changes:

Open PlayMaker\Editor\AboutWindow.cs
Replace InitWindowTitle with:

public void InitWindowTitle()
        {
#if UNITY_5_1 || UNITY_5_2
            titleContent = new GUIContent(Strings.AboutPlaymaker_Title);           
#else
            title = Strings.AboutPlaymaker_Title;
#endif
        }

Open PlayMaker\Editor\PlayMakerUpgradeGuide.cs
Replace Open with:

public static void Open()
        {
            var window = GetWindow<PlayMakerUpgradeGuide>(true);
#if UNITY_5_1 || UNITY_5_2
            window.titleContent = new GUIContent("PlayMaker");
#else
            window.title = "PlayMaker";
#endif
            window.minSize = new Vector2(350, 400);
            showOnLoad = EditorPrefs.GetBool("Playmaker.ShowUpgradeGuide", true);
        }

jwvanderbeck

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 09:48:39 AM »
Thanks!

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 03:01:55 PM »
Also if you're not using networking you can delete the PlayMaker\Actions\Network folder to remove the networking warnings.

I was overthinking it a little with the plugin importer settings. Although that's still useful if you want to completely remove networking from the build.