playMaker

Author Topic: Mecanim-Playmaker difficulties  (Read 2643 times)

strange_aeons

• Junior Playmaker
Mecanim-Playmaker difficulties
« on: September 16, 2015, 08:18:01 PM »
i have been stuck on getting the Mecanim system to work properly, so i have several clips arranged Idle, walk, Run and Jump. i put a bool property for each of those (so walk_bool, run_bool, etc) and setup the transitions going from idle to walk, walk to run etc. set the condition for those transitions to use the properties i mentioned.

to my knowledge that is how i am supposed to have set it up and the rest should be handled by Playmaker. so using the actions in the playmaker Mecanim Animator package for Unity 5, i am able to change those properties (using action Set Animator Bool). i can see these properties change in the Mecanim Editor, but the current Mecanim state remains on Idle, when it should show the character walking, running and jumping.

have i missed something? and why are there no playmaker/mecanim animator tutorials for this?

mdotstrange

• Can't code? Who cares! Make games anyway!
Re: Mecanim-Playmaker difficulties
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 08:29:48 PM »
For character locomotion walk, run etc you usually want to use a characters speed as a float var to drive the mecanim setup

The simplest way to do it is to get the "game object speed" action from Ecosystem- put that on your character and in the same state set use "set animator float" with every frame checked- with that setup you will have a realtime "speed" float var- make a matching mecanim float parameter called "speed" and you will be good to go as that will be receiving its data from the previous actions you just setup

-of course you would change your walk/run/idle transitions to work with your speed float parameter-

Its a paid course but I do this exact setup +more in a tutorial course I just released you can find here http://thestrangeschool.com/

Indie game dev and instructor at the Strange School. Learn Playmaker at the Strange School!

strange_aeons

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 08:38:35 PM »
thanks for the prompt reply, i will give that a try when i get home later today

i think im going to check out your tutorials, because it looks like it'll be great for those things ive yet to master (ive been dreading AI as ive not yet done that in any way yet), so thanks for mentioning that course

mdotstrange

• Can't code? Who cares! Make games anyway!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 11:57:07 PM »
Once you get the hang of the Playmaker/Mecanim workflow its pretty straight forward- its just awkward at first-

In the tutorials I cover the Playmaker stuff that I couldn't find in other tutorials but seems to be in abundance for Unity coding tutorials- setting up a controllable player, basic ai etc

If there's anything you want to learn how to do with Playmaker but can't find tutorials etc please let me know and I'll try and cover it  :)

Indie game dev and instructor at the Strange School. Learn Playmaker at the Strange School!

Pandur

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 04:43:51 AM »

strange_aeons

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 07:24:51 PM »
hey thanks for both of the replies, i did try them out, trying the get velocity method seemed to work out, but the weird thing was that the way i'd tried it before that also just started working as well. i've noticed that the velocity that is stored in the float has rather large fluctuations, sometimes causing the character to run when they should be walking.

Pandur, i did try out with following along on your video and i was not able to produce any animations by making the blend tree, i have not been able to work out why that is.

Pandur

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 03:17:50 AM »
Can you make Same screenshot pls to See how is the error

And Check out that
Animation are mecanim rig not legacy
Charakter rig humanoid
Input are ok with axis

« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 03:23:08 AM by Pandur »