playMaker

Author Topic: Massive performance drop when viewing variables in run-time  (Read 14470 times)

MABManZ

• 1.2 Beta
    • MABManZ.com
Massive performance drop when viewing variables in run-time
« on: February 25, 2012, 12:08:00 AM »
This actually has happened since upgrading to Unity 3.5. Whenever I try to read variables (local or global) during run-time, the game slows to a crawl. Makes de-bugging a real chore...

I'm assuming Playmaker 1.3 is not compatible with Unity 3.4 anymore, as performance in 3.5 is significantly worse across the board (at least on Android). Would like to just go back to Unity 3.4 but I don't think that's an option :(

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Re: Massive performance drop when viewing variables in run-time
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 12:35:11 AM »
Playmaker 1.3 is still compatible with 3.4. Didn't want to submit to the asset store with 3.5 until all the kinks have been worked out!

What do you mean by read variables? In the editor? In the unity inspector? Or in scripts?

MABManZ

• 1.2 Beta
    • MABManZ.com
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 01:24:05 AM »
The drop is when viewing variables in the Playmaker editor, both the local and global variable window cause a massive slowdown (goes from 60fps to 5fps).

Currently rolling back to Unity 3.4 to see if it helps

MABManZ

• 1.2 Beta
    • MABManZ.com
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 03:03:13 AM »
Confirmed this is only a problem on Unity 3.5...rolled back to 3.4.2f3 and everything is fine again (along with better framerate)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 08:02:57 AM »
Hi,

Try turning Logging off and see if it improves.

bye,

Jean

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 11:50:52 AM »
This is the issue that i am having right now.. or similar anyway.. Even having the Global variables tab in my layout even if it is not open kills my performance.. and i mean kills... 1 fps or less.. i can not debug anything like this..

I will try just having a local variable window open..

Hehh yep local variables too.. I am using a simplified layout right now as i need to do some debugging and i was still getting terrible performance and that was when i realized it was the global variables tab just in my layout.. I have it closed and i just opened up the local variables of a FSM and if i switched between Variables and State i could watch my project slow and speed up..

Q

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 11:55:04 AM »
So if i turn off the globals tab then it is pretty good but i can still see a little slow down if i have the PM Editor selected but it is usable.. If i unselect that window then it is way better again..

I have the logging stuff turned off as far as i know..

Q

MABManZ

• 1.2 Beta
    • MABManZ.com
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 02:30:19 PM »
Yeah I never really got this fixed, turning off logging did not help.

I can view local variables with no problems using the "inspector" option, but viewing global variables in runtime is still near impossible

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 12:39:24 PM »
Is this any better in 1.3.3?

Groo Gadgets

• Beta Group
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 02:56:25 AM »
Hey guys,

I was suffering from massive slow down in my game thanks to the variables window. The worst thing was I didn't realise it was the variables window so I went ahead and started reconstructing my game project.

I'm running a dual monitor setup and I narrowed the issue down to the global variables window being open on my second monitor. I can confirm that the slowdown persists when I have the variables window docked in my main unity window. One thing I can say though is it seems much slower if i'm viewing an FSM that has a lot of variables.

Alex, are you able to reproduce this slowdown on your machine?

Simon

balasco

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 06:45:10 PM »
Does any have a fix to this? Just adding a global variable now freezes the editor for about 10 seconds, frustrating when you need to add a couple hundred of them. I'm running the latest builds of unity and playmaker.

reedomatic

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 09:32:33 PM »
Yeah, I noticed I had slow down in the editor as well, but when I closed down the global variable window, everything seemed to run fine again.

balasco

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 12:38:16 PM »
Is there any other way of adding globals without having the window open?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 01:23:39 AM »
Hi,

I don't think so.

how many globals do you have?

Bye,

Jean

Red

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 09:00:19 AM »
If this is what i think it is... then i may have a workaround.

i think it's linked to when playmaker is open on the screen... so, if i'm testing a rather hefty game system and have the editor window open, it slows down (since unity has to handle running the game AND running the PM windows.)

one way that i've managed to do a workaround is to put non-playmaker tabs in the windows... so, for the editor i have the native console as well... if it slows down, i switch it to that and that frees up some speed. same with globals... put the particle-effect window on that. i also have the action list share the same space with the inspector (this also helps when i'm testing variables becaus ei can tell them to be visible in the inspector so that i can see what's going on.)

not 100% sure this is what you're facing though... so, if you know your computer's system specs, that could help point you/us in the right direction.