playMaker

Author Topic: Recommend a good Android device for developing unity games on ?  (Read 15920 times)

justifun

• 1.2 Beta
Can anyone recommend a good android phone or tablet that's powerful enough to run unity games on?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Recommend a good Android device for developing unity games on ?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 01:19:15 AM »
Good question! I just got the free android plugins and was wondering the same basically :) don't want to buy a device and find it's not supported...

Mark_T

• 1.2 Beta
  • Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 03:05:08 AM »
I have a Galaxy Note for about two months. I`m really satisfied with this phone. I bought it because it`s big, it serves me well for browsing and playing games. Unfortunatelly there are not to many games for this device. The only real problem it`s the battery. If I play games the baterry last 3, maximim 4 hours. Recharging is fast, about 2-2.5 hours. I think it`s one of the most powerful phones today, but in 3-6 months ...... :)
Resolution wise is pretty high, 1280x800 pixels. Maybe a Galaxy S2 at 800x480 will be better, but I think resolutions will go higher and higher.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 05:05:09 AM by Mark_T »

justifun

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 10:37:58 AM »
Here's a list of phones that work with android unity

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/77388-Androids-that-work-with-Unity-Android

and here's a list of phones to AVOID that don't work

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/94919-Androids-that-do-NOT-work-with-Unity-Android-or-that-have-limitations?highlight=android

i hear that the amazon kindle fire is a good tablet, cause its big and cheap and works.
you can get them second hand for around $125-$150 USD

shinodan

• Shinozone
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 01:52:52 PM »
i have a samsung sg2, it runs things awesomely

Damian

• 1.2 Beta
    • Permaximum Betty
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 10:29:54 AM »
It depends on how much you want to spend on it.
I use an Samsung Galaxy s ( all is custom on it, so its a lot faster then stock). You should be able to get one for very little money. This was a high en phone for about one year ago.
Samsung Galaxy s 2- This is an high end phone and working great. Cost little more then the first version.
Samsung Galaxy Note - Is little better then Samsung Galaxy S 2 and has a bigger screen.

Those phones is probably the best to develop on and they are great phones = you can use them for atleast 1-2 years from now to develop on. Samsung do update the firmware from them often and there is a lot of custom firmware for them to make them even better.

Then you will have the latest phones today, but you should not target them, for few has any of them now.
The 3 ones I did write about has the biggest share on the android market, so if your game works on them you will be fine. Only the Galaxy s did sell over 10.000.000 phones the first year. So if you target those phones you should have at least 30.000.000+ users. I guess that is a lot to sell the games to. ;D

amaranth

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 10:53:21 PM »
I second that idea to test on Kindle Fire. Millions were sold over Christmas. Probably a good market to tap.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:55:44 PM by amaranth »

justifun

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 11:19:47 PM »
I ended il getting a kindle fire when they were on sale on amazon for $139.  Had to root it to get the aneroid remote installed bit the silly remote spent work well at all.  Very poor image and flickering but the tounch input worked well so maybe all is not lost.  I read on the unity fforums that there is issues with getting sound to play properly without crackling on it too.  So that's buggy for now too.

Playmaker worked well on it.  But all I have made is a spinning cube with a touch event as a test scene.  Good frame rate.  Hopefully they can fix the sound issue and the remote issue.

amaranth

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 09:10:25 PM »
I did the same. Kindle + root made testing a breeze. Android setup is so much simpler than iOS. It's too bad the Kindle seems so... clunky compared to iPad, but if that's where the paying Android customers are at, we've got to get used to it, I guess. 

justifun

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 11:33:47 PM »
does the android remote look all funky and broken to you too?

terrymorgan

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 11:32:51 AM »
I have a Sylvania synet 7" tablet with no Android Market, ($98 at Big Lots) but a lot of free games/apps are available elsewhere. I haven't
played any games on it yet, they all look boring/from 1979, but I plan to. I use it to read/look at movies in my
easy chair. I heard they were going for $60 a while back, don't know where.

terrymorgan

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 11:34:22 PM »
I've tried 4 games so far, 2 wanted to connect to the internet (?), 1 had a 'heap' problem, and Dogfight Lite
actually ran, there was a little joystick button touch thing onscreen to aim the plane through the hoops, kind of jerky
motion, but the graphics were nice. I also got Ultima Underworld 2  running with andosbox, only there's no way to move around, I can only
have either mouse or keyboard, not both, but neither of them worked right, and the touchscreen did nothing either.
I don't know what the appeal of games on these devices are, other than the screen is too small to give you
eye strain, and you can play anywhere. There's a game from 1985 called Short Circuit I'd like to get running.

terrymorgan

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 12:11:19 AM »
short circuit apple 2, same crack screen as 1986! I got him moving with the numpad arrows but not sure
how to make him jump the wires, gamepad doing nothing. Imagine coding all that in assembly language.

http://classicgaming.gamespy.com/View.php?view=GameMuseum.Detail&id=216

terrymorgan

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 12:17:54 AM »
jump wires with keypad 0, but you can't go just anywhere.

Damian

• 1.2 Beta
    • Permaximum Betty
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 01:23:39 PM »
I did buy me an Samsung Galaxy S3 now.
I still have my custom Samsung Galaxy S left.
This is perfect to try any game or app to see if they works.
I think that is the best setup right now.
Sure if you also have an Samsung Galaxy S2 you have all covered.
To be true you also do support most of the android market if you have those and make the game/app to work on them.