playMaker

Author Topic: TCG-Playmaker Questions  (Read 6517 times)

Amarante

• Playmaker Newbie
TCG-Playmaker Questions
« on: January 15, 2016, 11:21:22 AM »
Hello Everyone, i have purchased Playmaker along with Unity. I am a fairly ok scripter but i saw that playmaker was able to make a game like Hearthstone, from what  i have seen Hearthstone also have some scripting done as well but the question i want to know before i invest some time into Playmaker is, is playmaker possible to create an entire TCG like Hearthstone without no need for scripting.

It would contain:
MPVP
Singe Player mode
AI Interaction choosing the best cards to play etc
Damage calculation
rules on what can be summon at what time.
You can play Hearthstone to get a feel of what were aiming for.

Also any tutorials will be greatly helpful and is their a documentation of all the actions that are covered in Playmaker

KellyRay

Re: TCG-Playmaker Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 11:45:52 AM »
Possible? Most certainly. Huge undertaking? Defiantly!

If this is what you want to make, just keep going for it. Heathstone is a solid example of a game worth playing. It was built in Unity. Anything that was built in Unity can be built with Playmaker. There is no limit.

I'm unaware of any playmaker trading card game tutorials.

Here is the action reference page:

https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W2

Good luck!

Amarante

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 01:00:53 PM »
Wonderful, and yes i know this is a massive task a very massive task.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 01:06:15 PM »
Hi,

Yes, for such level of project, it's not anymore the tools that matters so much, but the skills and resources available in the team to produce it.

The first thing to be aware of is how many people worked on such project. Ready to cry?!

http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Credits_(list)

Once you digested the link above, you'll need to adjust your expectations if you are a one man show like most of us. It's ok, it's good to aim high, but it's also important to be realistic and setup reachable milestones, because you can quickly get frustrated if your aims are not inline with your resources, skills and deadlines.

so cut down even more what needs to be done, until you have defined tasks that you feel you can achieve on their owns, it's the sum of it that will make up a complex and rich game.

Bye,

Jean
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 01:38:15 AM by jeanfabre »

KellyRay

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 01:27:32 PM »
The credits list seems to be void of text when I go to the link. But here is a picture:

Amarante

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 02:50:55 PM »
This is not a one man show actually, we have a team mostly artist at this point.

rik

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 04:44:36 PM »
Hi
i am playmaker user and made few projects and published few games.
most people face common issue with playmaker was actions if you have all the actions required for the game then it will be going smooth...
if you need some custom stuff that are not available for you to use then you will be locked.
i need lot of actions for my game but all are under development some requested a year ago was still in to do list so make sure you have programmer in case you have any need of playmaker actions.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 01:41:22 AM »
Hi,

Updated the link, the parser forgot to add the trailing ')'

If you have a team, then this is great and indeed you can target a much bigger game.

Keep us updated!

@rik: don't hesitate to bump pending requests not fullfilled. If they are tasks on the trello, for supporting third party assets, make sure to also bump the publisher as well.

Bye,

Jean

mweyna

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 03:58:52 PM »
I'm actually working on a Playmaker Template for Heartstone type games. Currently, just putting finishing touches on the deck builder (with a card library like Heartstone), and have general functionality for how you interact with the game. The big pieces I'm missing are still AI and Multiplayer. That being said, I've been working on it solo for about three months and it's very complex. Everything has been 100% Playmaker with a HEAVY reliance on ArrayMaker. I know the networking and data security stuff will probably be a bit simplistic compared to the actual Heartstone for the obvious reason I am a one-man non-coder doing this as a side hobby.

That being said, I've used playmaker heavily for at least two years, and would say I have a fairly good command of it at this point. From picking up playmaker to fully understanding how to use it, as others have said this would definitely be a big  bite to chew.

Grzegorz

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 07:12:57 AM »
Any news about you templates  :) I wil be more than happy to test it