playMaker

Author Topic: fsm screenshot: what about fsm to html?  (Read 6903 times)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
fsm screenshot: what about fsm to html?
« on: March 15, 2012, 02:55:06 AM »
Hi,

Doing screenshots is really really handy to share our work and document, but I keep dreaming about being able to capture a particular fsm so that I can share it online for people to view and interact with it, selecting a state, viewing the actions, viewing the various variables declare.

I think it's possible, if for example using the screenshot of the fsm, screenshot of each state actions, variables and event, to provide a simple ( non working, of course, just to view) interactive fsm editor done with html and javascript.

This would be quit a project to take on obviously, but I really think it would be great for learning and documenting purposes.

As soon as I have finished my Guiml, I'll work on a proof of concept on that.

Bye,

Jean

justifun

• 1.2 Beta
Re: fsm screenshot: what about fsm to html?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 02:24:08 PM »
Yeah that would be awesome jean!

I find myself thinking about ways to hookup fsm's when im not near my computer, i wanted to make some sort of playing cards that i could draw lines between to hookup, or use some sort of "flow chart web-app" that would mimic playmaker, but that would be way to complicated to be worth the touble.  Just to sort out ideas until i get time to actually work on my own stuff.

Mark_T

• 1.2 Beta
  • Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 03:59:09 PM »
I find myself thinking about ways to hookup fsm's when im not near my computer, i wanted to make some sort of playing cards that i could draw lines between to hookup, or use some sort of "flow chart web-app" that would mimic playmaker, but that would be way to complicated to be worth the touble.  Just to sort out ideas until i get time to actually work on my own stuff.

Hehe, this is stage 2. ;D

On a more serious note, such a feature will push up a lot the Playmaker userbase. It`ll be a "Playmaker Simulator". Brilliant for learning. The perfect documentation. But I suppose it`s a big queue ahead.
Again, brilliant idea.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 04:00:55 PM by Mark_T »

justifun

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 04:23:01 PM »
LoL, here's a mockup (click on an action/event takes you to the appropriate wiki page

http://creately.com/diagram/gzu8dh471/1MC4E2mg34nEfn7emaHrunTUXY%3D

You could set it up where you make all of the actions and then just copy and paste them to attach do your diagram, kinda like prefabs, with all of the options for each action already built into the design and then just reuse it over and over.

Mark_T

• 1.2 Beta
  • Junior Playmaker
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 04:40:51 PM »
Nice. :)

The way I thought JeanFabre described it, it was the exact same way the Playmaker interface it is now, with the states window, variables, events, a complete simulator. But a simulator in which you can`t build anything, except to "play" what you "exported"/"captured" in Playmaker. And when I say play I mean you can expand the PlayMaker tabs, mimic the debug feature, etc. No 3D, nothing, just playmaker.

Alex, maybe now it`s a good oportunity to take advantage of one of the new features implemented in Unity 3.5: export to Flash. :) I`ll be happy enought with a flash version. I`m really serious now.
I think you have access to all the scene information and the Playmaker graph.
Maybe as a separate .dll, just for the editor.
If my last supositions are far from the thruth, I have the excuse I`m not a programmer.  ;D

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 04:43:21 PM by Mark_T »

justifun

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 04:44:54 PM »
OOOOOO i like.

A flash template editor you can work with anywhere then export back into playmaker (or template format ) would be sweet.

Mark_T

• 1.2 Beta
  • Junior Playmaker
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 04:50:01 PM »

It would be nice, but it`s to much work with no final end, because you need Unity, content, etc.
I was thinking just an automatic graphic replicator of what it`s in the scene at a certain moment. Like an interactive snapshot. It`ll be the perfect learning tool.

Mark_T

• 1.2 Beta
  • Junior Playmaker
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 05:07:33 PM »
One more try.
When you click "Export interactive snapshot":
- The scene will be automatically saved
- All the necessary information will be written into a file on disk
- Open a new scene
- Automatically create the needed objects in the scene
- Export the flash app
- Close the scene
- Reopen the original scene.

I`ll stop here, before Alex to come and say: Kids, stop going bananas. back to your rooms. :)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 01:42:58 AM »
Hi,

Interactive snapshot is the right terms of what I was after! so thanks for that wording.

No clever interactions or attempt to make the fsm work, simply a way to view states, actions, variables and event just like in the editor when it's not playing, and that would be just images.

Bye,

Jean

Grendal

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 09:57:16 PM »
[Raises hands, drinks unholy water, necromances this thread from the long dead]

Did this ever go anywhere?
I would love to have a graph making Playmaker stand alone or html even if it just allowed graph building and comments.
I am sure there are many of us who build graphs in our heads while away from unity. i know there are fsm storyboard sites or mind maps which act similar.. but they aren't cool and snappy like Playmaker editor. 

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 02:50:33 AM »
Hi,

This is an old thread, but very much active. I am currently allocating time for this to happen in the long run. By representing PlayMaker and the project in xml for example, and then a website will be able to parse the xml and typically create a interactive help system, but this just one possible use of this pending work.

So stay tune, it's very much on the mid term to do list.

Bye,

Jean