playMaker

Author Topic: Before I buy :)  (Read 3833 times)

tali3sin

• Playmaker Newbie
Before I buy :)
« on: March 22, 2012, 07:57:36 PM »
I just want to ensure PlayMaker will help me do the things that I want to do :)

Background: I'm new to Unity, new to JavaScript, long time hobbyist as a 3D modeler, graphic designer. Very familiar with game logic.

Stuff I need to achieve (can PlayMaker make this easier?):

Move an FPS controller along a single axis (have managed this via iTween) at an accelerating rate that eventually caps out.
Give that FPS controller some exaggerated jumping and sliding capabilities (and I mean ducking into a slide along the ground, not sliding down a ramp)
Link animations of a mesh to the FPS controller, which are triggered on jump/slide
Define what happens when collisions occur, death, etc
Creation of power ups (eg, jump further for a limited time)
Creation of score multiplier based on tracked values like speed, or distance
GUI calls for starting up, loading the level, pause, etc.

There are a few other things, but this should give me a base idea of whether or not PlayMaker is a worthwhile purchase for my little project, or whether I'm better off taking a look at uScript/Antares/whatever, or if I should just suck it up and learn how to write out JavaScript by hand ;)

Any information is greatly appreciated :)

Thank you!

justifun

• 1.2 Beta
Re: Before I buy :)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 08:14:52 PM »
I'm a 3d animator by trade, with a little bit of coding understanding, and Playmaker was the perfect solution for me.  I can totally visualize exactly how things work and switch between states all without having to code a single line of code, and i've been able to make really advanced games with it so far.

Playmaker can certainly do all of the things you are asking about.  And soon you'll be play other games and thinking to yourself, i know exactly how to do that in playmaker!  Its kinda fun that way.

Its the single greatest plugin/software i've ever purchased.  Its allowed me to translate my ideas as an artist into a functional game in no time!

Especially cause its on sale too!  Worth every penny!

It can do anything you can do in Unity because its simply creating building blocks of existing features/code that already exists.  Also custom actions can be written to interface with other 3rd party asset store items as well.  So its very flexible and futureproof.

Alex and Jean and the rest of the community are all very active on the forums and listing to the feedback from all of us.  Always adding new features!

I highly recommend it!

-Justin

tali3sin

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Before I buy :)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 08:28:05 PM »
Man, that's quite the review :D

Between you and the videos on YouTube that I didn't even think to search for until after I made my post ( ::) ) I reckon I'm pretty much sold.

The videos essentially show me what I wish programming was.