playMaker

Author Topic: [SOLVED] No Response to Inputs  (Read 9701 times)

Neptune_Imaging

• Playmaker Newbie
[SOLVED] No Response to Inputs
« on: March 30, 2012, 04:41:32 PM »
Hey guys, posted this in the Unity forums, and decided to move it here (first post btw)... I am working on a project where I need to set up my inputs (Using Playmaker) and as a test I set up my character to move with the Left and Right Arrow Keys... strangely when I go to test the game, and I press the arrow keys, nothing happens whatsoever. I have had to reset the input manager SEVERAL times, to make sure I wasn't losing my marbles. Even in playmaker, the controls do not respond to my inputs WHATSOEVER.

And this kind of hinders the production of my game a bit, so I am wondering if anyone else has run into this issue and what is a possible fix. In the play mode, the animations do work when I preview them, it is just the inputs don't respond... thank you.

Here is a screenshot of the state I am using:

Strange that my inputs are not responding...

« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 09:10:42 AM by Alex Chouls »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: No Response to Inputs
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 05:04:33 PM »
Hi,

can you make a screenshot of the actions contains in the state?

double check also that you don't get an error ( maybe you just mistyped the input name)

Bye,

Jean

Neptune_Imaging

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 05:31:07 PM »
I didn't get an error, and upon further testing, I got my inputs to work in the webplayer... :) check it out

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/158971/Control%20Test/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 05:32:16 PM »
On the Unity Forum you mentioned you were using Get Key Down. While we should still figure out why that's not working, it's generally better to use named Axis setup in the Input Manager. You have a lot more control over the behavior and support for keys, mouse and game controllers.

For example, this case looks tailor made for Axis Event:
https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W681

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 05:35:24 PM by Alex Chouls »

Neptune_Imaging

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 05:43:55 PM »
I have to setup my input manager to support the controllers... but I am glad the arrow keys work when the game is built... is there a reason why the controls don't work when in play mode in the editor?

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 05:51:04 PM »
Not sure... what system are you using?

The default "Horizontal" and "Vertical" axis should let you test with WASD, cursor keys, and most controllers...

Checked out your webplayer - very cool! Great looking model and animation! Can't wait to see more!

Neptune_Imaging

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 05:53:33 PM »
I am using the Xbox360 remote...and I am building my game on a 64-bit system... the jump is not looped for god knows why, and also the keys don't work in the standalone build :(

And there is more to come for these characters

And how would I use these axis events? I could just set up each event, and link them to the proper animations?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 05:59:24 PM by Neptune_Imaging »

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 06:04:35 PM »
Yeah, just replace the Get Key Down actions with Axis Event and hook up the events to send.

I wonder if there are some Unity input bugs on 64 bit systems... Get Key Down etc. just wrap Unity commands... I'll do a little investigating...

Neptune_Imaging

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 06:07:32 PM »
Thanks man... in the meantime, I will keep building my controller that will be the basis for all of the characters in my game... i also need to ask if this can handle combo inputs, such as P, P, Forward+Punch? :)

And for the horizontal, I am aware I may have to use a float for horizontal negative, etc.

justifun

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 07:19:47 PM »
I've been playing around in my head a good system for setting up a combo attacking system and its proved quite complicated so far.

The biggest hurdle i've found is dealing with the animations playing and whether or not you want them to get cut off early or forced to play entirely before going to the next attack animation while still being able to keep it feeling responsive to the player.

My first idea was to create a branching tree like structure of FSM's
each branch would be a combo possibility with a get key down action that transitions you to the next state
but if you press the button while a animation is playing, it will abruptly stop the animation and goto the next one too quickly.  Blending the animations doesn't work well with really short animations.

If you put some sort of wait in there to allow the animation to fully complete before switching then you run into situations where the player can hit the punch button  10 times before the first punch completes then it feels unresponsive.

anywhoo, still working on that, but hopefully someone else might have some ideas about it.

Neptune_Imaging

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 07:23:23 PM »
UPDATE: I configured my input manager to take advantage of the DPad and nothing works :( I also used Axis Event to set it all up...

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 07:27:59 PM »
Do you have the default "Horizontal" and "Vertical" axis?

Neptune_Imaging

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 10:26:46 PM »
No... I changed it so that it would work on the 6th Axis... I could go back and set everything back to the default... using the XBox360 control pad with the Microsoft drivers

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 12:00:14 AM »

Neptune_Imaging

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 12:14:33 AM »
tried it...didn't work :(