playMaker

Author Topic: Managing per level settings [SOLVED]  (Read 1879 times)

coxy17

• Beta Group
Managing per level settings [SOLVED]
« on: July 20, 2016, 10:58:13 AM »
Hi

I was wondering to what is the best approach when it comes to updating per scene settings e.g. time allowed on level. At the moment i set these in each scene, but now i have loads of scenes and would like to combine them into some sort of master table. So i can go to one place to update these. Any ideas?

Nick
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 04:55:03 AM by coxy17 »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Managing per level settings
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 02:53:37 AM »
Hi,

You could use a dedicated GameObject with fsm each following a strict guideline, or even use templates. And that would be your medium for storing reading and writing settings.

Else, you could use XmlMaker, and store each scene settings in xml.

Else, you have some excel and google spreadsheet plugins on the Asset Store and could even consider storing settings online and access them from your device viy an http call.

Bye,

Jean

coxy17

• Beta Group
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 04:01:38 AM »
Hi Jean

Ok i like the idea of having the settings in the game rather than external I think, but i'm not sure if security is a risk with external services?.

The data i'm after storing can end up being for over 200 levels, so i guess a table format would be easier but if i used a FSM template for this then does playmaker offer a table based layout option? or would I have to have 200 state machines to apply the per level settings?

Nick

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 03:44:32 AM »
Hi,

You would simply have one dedicated Fsm on a GameObject, per level, that's all. I don't see this as a problem.

however, if you want an overview system to browser settings for various levels, that would be a problem indeed. in this case, an excel or xml format would be preferable.

Bye,

Jean

coxy17

• Beta Group
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 04:54:49 AM »
Ok thanks for this, i will go for the first option, seems it will be ok for me.

Nick