playMaker

Author Topic: Slowdown when running game in editor with Playmaker window open  (Read 2478 times)

davidjefferies

• Playmaker Newbie
When we run the game in the editor with the Playmaker window open the game runs at a low framerate. If we close the Playmaker window the framerate returns to normal.

If we turn on the profiler and get it to profile the editor we see it taking around an additional 70ms when the Playmaker window is open, with these functions taking the time:
  EditorApplication.Internal_CallHierarchyWindowHasChanged 68ms
 HostView.OnHiearchyChange() 36ms
 UpdateSceneIfNeeded 20ms

If we close the Playmaker window then those same functions are still in the profile but take much less time.

I'm currently on Unity 5.3.6 with Playmaker 1.8.1 and this has been happening for a month at least so has not been introduced in the latest Unity versions.

Any idea what might be going on?

kavery

Re: Slowdown when running game in editor with Playmaker window open
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 08:43:36 AM »
I've noticed this in every Unity and PM version I've used over 2 years. Probably no solution available.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 08:49:01 AM »
Hi,

Yes, the Playmsker editor takes resources to run, so basically, when i deal with complex and heavy scenes, i switch Unity layout to a minimal version without playmaker, just to test perfs better, and only work with the pkaymake editor uf i want to debug some fsm.

Bye,

Jean

davidjefferies

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 11:56:40 AM »
thanks for the reply. I agree Playmaker needs to use resources but 70ms is excessive and is more than all the rest of Unity put together. This even happens when not editing a FSM, just having the window open and blank.

Usually we would just close the Playmaker window but we can't do that when debugging the FSMs and so this task is made much more difficult with the framerate so low.

Sid

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 12:44:06 PM »
Not sure if this will help but it helped us when we had very large FSMs.

http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=10832.msg51152#msg51152

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 01:21:31 PM »
Hi,

Then, you should get in touch with us via pm so that we can profile your project and pin point the exact problem, and if it turns this is something tgat can be improved, then, we'look into it for sure.

Bye,

Jean