playMaker

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Can't Name States or Create Events  (Read 5137 times)

sneenlantern

• Playmaker Newbie
[SOLVED] Can't Name States or Create Events
« on: April 08, 2012, 06:54:15 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the forums and new to playmaker and I'm sorry if this is an old question but I did searches and couldn't find anything about it.  

I'm following Echo17's Smooth moves and playmaker tutorial but it won't let me rename the states I create and it won't let me type in names for events.  When I rename the state and press enter it just goes back to "State 1" or "State 2" and when I create an event for the state, it won't let me type in the little event name window down at the bottom of the event window.  I've restarted the software, the computer, everything, thinking its some problem with my machine, but nothing worked.  I can't even get started with this tutorial.  

Am I utterly stupid and missing something obvious?  Can someone help?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 02:12:20 PM by Alex Chouls »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Can't Name States or Create Events
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 05:21:54 AM »
Hi,

I do have sometimes issues with renaming states and it goes away as I click somewhere else and back to it.

Are you on mac or windows? also, don't forget to report the bug using the bug reporting tool from playmaker, this will help keeping track of of the issues ( playmaker menu -<"submit bug report")

Bye,

Jean

sneenlantern

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 05:42:04 AM »
I am using windows.  I don't know if it's a bug or it's something I'm doing wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's my fault.  I will report the bug.   8)

shaz

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 01:31:55 AM »
I'm having the same issue.  I'm also using PlayMaker and SmoothMoves.

I can rename the FSM itself, but not states (haven't made it as far as events yet).

I also notice I can't rename game objects in the hierarchy.  I select Rename and the text input doesn't appear.  I have to change the name in the Inspector.  I think the two issues might be related.

Later ... okay, going off and doing something else in Unity, then coming back, I can now name my states.  But I cannot name and create new events.  When I click in the name window, the text input bar appears briefly, then disappears.  If I type, Unity itself responds (I suspect one of the characters I typed was a hotkey to zoom in, as that's what happened)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 02:35:49 AM by shaz »

JumpDog

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 04:41:15 PM »
ISSUE FOUND

Well Google led me here, having this same problem, and having read these posts I did some more experimenting on my own.

With my testing, the problem surfaces by creating Sprites with the Smooth Moves Atlas Editor. As soon as the sprite is in the scene, I can no longer:
- Change State Names (Hitting enter upon typing in a new name simply reverts it back, no change)
- Add Events (cursor flashes in text box briefly then disappears, no time to type)
- Rename Objects in Hierarchy (same as above)

This specifically only happens when the sprite is Enabled (checkbox) in the Inspector next to its name. I've tried renaming it from Sprite, have tried removing each component to narrow it down, but it's nothing else, just the fact that it's enabled will cause these issues. If multiple sprites are in the scene, they must all be disabled for PlayMaker to work again.

Here's hoping this'll get looked into.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 05:15:14 PM »
The author of Smooth Moves is working on a solution to this...

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 02:11:53 PM »
Just to let everyone know, the latest version of Smooth Moves fixes the focus problems with Playmaker.

There still seem to be some crashes on importing Smooth Moves, but to be honest, I'm pretty used to that with Unity by now, and I tend to restart after importing anyway!

In my case I got this in the log:

Automatic import for 'Assets/SmoothMoves/Plugins/SmoothMoves/SmoothMoves_Runtime.dll' was disabled because the asset importer crashed on it last time.
You can use 'Assets -> Import Asset' to enable automatic importing again.

I had to right click SmoothMoves_Runtime.dll and Reimport, and everything seems to be back to normal.

Hope this helps someone!