playMaker

Author Topic: [SOLVED]'Get Vertex Position' Is Freezing "Megafiers" Animating Ripple Modifier  (Read 5290 times)

Scottyboombotz

• Playmaker Newbie
I'm trying to use 'Get Vertex Position' to give me vertex positions on a grid that's animating by means of the Ripple modifier created by in a set of tools called "Megafiers".

http://www.west-racing.com/mf/#

My set up works great (I get the correct vert, and its exact position) except that when the Playmaker Action 'Get Vertex Position' is applied to my animating mesh the morph stops animating.  I posted a bug with the guys behind Megafiers and here's what they said, "I suspect they [Playmaker] cache the vertices themselves somewhere along the line and update the mesh data which Unity doesn\'t like." Now of course I don't know what that means exactly, but would it be possible to get a version of 'Get Vertex Position' that doesn't "Cache the Verts" so it doesn't lock up any other modifiers trying to modify the verts?

I'm so close and yet so far, any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Scott
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 11:45:46 PM by Scottyboombotz »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Hi Scott,

That's too bad. I tried and can indeed replicate this problem.

the solution I found is to access the mesh from the MegaModifiers component, because internal MegaModifiers is doing a lot of twisted magic to make it all work.

Playmaker is not doing any caching, and I even tried with a c# script, and that also stop the modifier from working, so indeed, I don't think it's possible to do it otherwise.

I will get in touch with Chris West and make sure there is no other way.

Meanwhile, I have made a custom action so that you can get your vertex in peace :) I purchases Mega fiers a while ago , the best thing on the asset store if you ask me!. coming from Max, this is gold. And I am sadly unable to allocate time to make the custom actions required to use mega fiers inside playmaker... So thanks for sparking this up again :)

http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=1415.0

Bye,

Jean

Scottyboombotz

• Playmaker Newbie
Dear Jean,
You are my favorite person in the world at this very moment.  It worked perfectly.  Your new nickname is "Kool Aid" man because you just broke through the brick wall my project had found itself up against. 

I agree Megafiers is a great set of tools.  Tools like Unity, Playmaker, and Megafiers is why garage game development is making a comeback. 

Much Thanks For the Speedy (Speedy Gonzales? Nah Kool Aid Man) Helping Hand,

-Scott

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Hey Scott,

Thanks for the kind words, I am so in need of a nickname, I'd like to move away from my name for my freelance work ( don't know, it has this "I could not find anything better" type of feel to it...), So definitly considering "KoolAid", but Aid has this very negative meaning as well re the disease... so not happening I am afraid :-\

Unity community has been so helpful when I started ( especially the UnityAnswer back when it was not QUATO) that I felt I had to carry on, and I agree Unity-playmaker and all these other ultra Cool frameworks makes it not just good for garage development, but actually, for real world, multi 0's projects. It has the edge on many facets, I am testing the flash builder, horrible development and publishing process, even tho, very attractive on paper.

Back to the topic. I had a word with Chris West ( man, he's good! and his brother ( doing the art work) equally stunning). He's well into this playmaker bridge, and gave me some hints, so I will push a new version of this custom action using a slight variation of his api, it will work the same, only done the right way).

Bye,

Jean aka KoolAid :)