playMaker

Author Topic: Playmaker for Unity 2017  (Read 12010 times)

tcmeric

• Beta Group
Playmaker for Unity 2017
« on: March 17, 2017, 07:39:29 AM »
Hi,

I was wondering if there any any thoughts for playmaker in unity 2017 (post untiy 5.6). I heard through the grapevine that there could be visual scripting built into unity 2017 (similar to UE blueprints). Not sure if that will be true or not.

Where will that leave playmaker if so? I see that playmaker right now is free as part of the paid unity package.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Ateam

Re: Playmaker for Unity 2017
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 09:17:08 PM »
I have the same question

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 03:11:24 AM »
Hi,

I am not sure where things are going to go, it would be great if Unity and PlayMaker where working together for sure, wishful thinking, but definitly something trendy and obviously making a clear difference between simply not  being able to build a game and building one for many non programmers and artists.

But as most battle tested assets, even if Unity creates its own take on visual scripting, it will take time for it to work properly, and it's unlikely to be exactly how PlayMaker does it, which means PlayMaker would still be a a solution of choice for many years to come without a doubt. I don't see why it would not. Unity provides many features that you can find alternatives on the Asset store, like ngui that still sells like candy..

Bye,

Jean

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 04:25:56 AM »
Thank you Jean. I appreciate the comment. I am always surprised unity has not devoted more time to a visual scripting system like blueprints, because unity is used by more indies. (Like me).

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 11:43:56 PM »
Hi,

Yeah, but as always, getting it right is the most difficult, they've tried with Mecanim, but clearly isn't suitable, and I am pretty sure they've explored options and had some alpha version built in house. The big issue is how to connect visual elements with *ALL* possible api, existing, new and updated without impacting performances, and the best solution is using Actions like PlayMaker, and not reflections, the downside is that you have to create these actions manually... so this is a big bottleneck and prevent natural evolution without heavy lifting and strict/Painful maintenance...

Bye,

Jean

Joel_Dittrich

• Playmaker Newbie
    • joeldittrich.se
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 11:29:57 PM »
Any more understandings on this now that v2017 is released?

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 03:29:54 AM »
Hi,
You can follow the progress on unity roadmap

You can find "Visual Scripting" all the way down (i checked today 07/22/2017)
3th from the last in the Researh section.

Which means that it is not even in development yet, so it will probably take years to see this build in to unity :)

Parapsycho

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 03:32:10 PM »
I don't think Visual Scripting is a high priority for the Unity Developers.

Plus, they keep featuring PlayMaker in the asset store. Pretty much anyone who interacts with the Unity community knows what PlayMaker is, and there doesn't seem to be much competition.

I think PM is 'safe' for a very long time. :)