playMaker

Author Topic: Playmaker deleted all my templates  (Read 1462 times)

Syne3

• Playmaker Newbie
Playmaker deleted all my templates
« on: April 06, 2017, 11:16:52 AM »
Sorry in advance for the language, I'm out of myself.

Today will be the third time I restart coding my game. For some reason, Playmaker decided to delete all my templates. Again.

All my FSM have lost reference, and the templates are nowhere to be found.
I tried searching around in all my projects, and then in all my computer.
I've already lost several hours, and now again. I can't put up with this shit again.

For some reason, the playmaker menu isn't there anymore, maybe this can help identify the problem. I reimported it several times, still no playmaker. I can create new FSMs, but they are blank, uneditable.

EDIT: Kept looking into this, other projects work, playmaker is installed and working. In my proj, deleted and re-installed, still nothing to do. I'm about to fucking cry for fuck sake.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:42:02 AM by Syne3 »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Playmaker deleted all my templates
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 11:45:28 AM »
Hi,

It's really odd.

at what point do you loose your work? what steps are you doing just before?

Templates are assets saved as individual files in your project assets, but they are inside the PlayMaker folder, so if you delete the PlayMaker folder, so are the templates and any file inside this folder, maybe that's the problem.

To never loose work, I strongly recommand using sourcetree, bitbucket and a gothub repository, then you will never have this problem or any fear to loose work because our Hardrive failed or lost your computer.

Bye,

Jean

Syne3

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 11:50:12 AM »
I deleted Playmaker after checking everywhere for my templates, and anyway never fully deleted it, just reimported and re installed over.

I was coding, just finished solving a problem that took me 2 full days to solve. Saved, not backedup because Im an idiot, and this morning running Unity and arrived to this.

There is not much you can do about my templates, and its my fault. But why it's impossible to have Playmaker run again on the same project?

And btw, why should I come to the point where I have to fear my software to fail me? My hard drive is fine, I finished late yesterday, for once I didnt backup. Sorry Jean Im just mad.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 02:14:48 AM »
Hi,

yes, I know the feeling :) , we've all been there one way or the other.

Can you explain what's going on, I am still not sure what you are experiencing, do you have errors in your project? have you properly installed PlayMaker ( since you likely have unity errors, importing playMaker is not enough you have to install it from the package inside PlayMaker/editor/install)

so please describe in more details what's going on what Unity tells you in the console, thanks :)

also, on hardware, you should always play safe with this, My hardware failed few times, once because I wanted to deploy on android and bought a crappy phone that made me install a dodgy dll and corrupted my Operating System, arghhh... Had I buy a new hd and use the old one as an external disk to access its data. Then it failed on me another time for no reasons...  so I do hope this not going to happen to you, but hardware and Operating system failure is common and happens to many, you must be prepared for this and always have a proper backup solution, in our case using Bitbucket+Sourcetree is the perfect mix because you have your backup but you also have a pro system for keeping full history of your project and allow you to work in team properly. I can go back to day one of *ALL* my projects if I want or back to a specific release 2 years ago, with one click and it's free... so please consider this seriously so that you never loose work again :)

check out my github account: https://github.com/jeanfabre I commit several times per everyday, everyday. Everytime I do a change I commit, it's that simple and part of my worlkflow, that's it.

Bye,

Jean