playMaker

Author Topic: unet and playmaker  (Read 3072 times)

Ofonna

unet and playmaker
« on: April 14, 2017, 08:57:54 PM »
the events for the action "unet server find local player" aren't working and secondly it only finds the local player on the host client, please i would like for the administrators to look into it as i would like to use unity networking.

thanks

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: unet and playmaker
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 06:37:52 AM »
Hi,

This action is a straight port of this function of https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Networking.NetworkServer.FindLocalObject.html

and yes it only works on server or hosting client, I am not sure there is an equivalent for other network context unfortunatly.

If you are on a client machine, each player will likely have an Fsm on it, I would use this to keep track of Ids.

If you find a Unity Api that would do what you want, let me know I'll turn it into an action.

Bye,

Jean

Ofonna

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 01:41:06 PM »
ooh wow, thanks Jean, the action i was trying to imitate was  "OnStartLocalPlayer()" which finds the local payer for each client and this helps in cases where i'd want each client to have it's own features like different colors, this would be awsome.

thanks Jean.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 02:02:00 AM »
Hi,

I would do that on the server or hosting client yes.

Are you sure you want to use uNet? Is there a reason why you don't want to go with Photon? Photon is far cheaper, far more reliable and easier to pick up... just the cost of running uNet is a no go for 99% of us really...

Bye,

Jean

Ofonna

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 11:07:55 AM »
Hi,

I would do that on the server or hosting client yes.

Are you sure you want to use uNet? Is there a reason why you don't want to go with Photon? Photon is far cheaper, far more reliable and easier to pick up... just the cost of running uNet is a no go for 99% of us really...

Bye,

Jean

Hi Jean, my reason for wanting to use unet is that, it's a lot easier to learn and use, i tried using photon but then i realised it had alot of things you had to do unlike unet where the transform was already dealt with, and a lot more

thanks

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 01:31:44 AM »
Hi,

I doubt this is a valid argument to choose uNet in my opinion. uNet is for when you can afford a server side headless Unity server, which costs a lot, else you go for Photon without thinking. Else you go for either Photon or Bolt. That's about the only option that is worth mentionning at this point, yes I am affiliated with Photon too, but the comment is nonetheless valid :)

Transform synchronization are dealt in a very easy way within photo, you simply observe the transform, or if you want to lag compensation, you add a PhotonTransformView and observe that component, it will let you choose compensation option in a very powerful way.

Bye,

Jean