playMaker

Author Topic: Get asset from folder  (Read 2720 times)

uk_resistant

• Playmaker Newbie
Get asset from folder
« on: November 23, 2017, 08:07:20 AM »
Hi All,

I am looking for an action which will search a folder outside of the unity project or build and bring it into the project any files it finds (at runtime!).

The idea being that players can drop models, textures, music and into a folder and my game will search that folder, bring into the project and then the game replace or create game objects based on name string comparisons, making for a lightwave mod scene.

Does anything like this exist, be it an import action or a series of actions which will work?

Thanks in advance!

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Get asset from folder
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 03:21:00 PM »
Hi,
I did not find anything useful on the unity forums.
So i am not sure if you can do this.

if you find something let me know, so i can try to port if in a playmaker action.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 12:57:23 AM »
Hi,

for this, you have Resources and StreamableAssets and asset bundles. In your case, Assetbundles seem the way to go as you can create new content and have users download this content and it becomes an integral part of your project as if it was always there.

All other assets will need to be referenced via drag and drop in inspectors and access this way. It was a big issue for me when I started with Unity as well... I got used to it.

Bye,

Jean

terri

• terrivellmann.tumblr.com
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 07:13:02 AM »
I've done this with textures, using EasySave
Not sure about models but I think it also works with music