playMaker

Author Topic: [VIVE]-First approcach and questions  (Read 4186 times)

Bipolar

• Junior Playmaker
[VIVE]-First approcach and questions
« on: April 14, 2018, 01:22:04 PM »
Hi, how are you?
I'm back with a VR simple project, the previous one not in VR had a customizable ambient so it was hard to make for a beginner who should make easy stuff.

Now I'm back with a VR project.

Now, I looked for tutorials, but I want a good tutorial to understand how to do some actions.

First question about VR: moving with the vive's touchpad using it like an analogic stick should cause vomit or sickness?So is it better to make the player moving with teleportation?

Is there a video which show how to make a grab with playmaker using a custom hand mesh?

I died yesterday using UE4... so I moved again on Unity.

I do not pretend you have to post down here "How to".

I tell you what I need, just post a VR tutorial I can follow(with Playmaker obviously).

-Custom Mesh Hand Grab with animations
-Creating a Weapon menu that should freeze\slow the time while using it.
-Hide\Unhide Weapon or change mesh

As you can see these question are about simple stuff, but now that Unreal traumatized me I've lost the logic and I don't know anymore how to combine Playmaker to PlaymakerVR toolkit...

Some helpul tutorial to do this?

Thanks!

tcmeric

• Beta Group
Re: [VIVE]-First approcach and questions
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 01:52:41 PM »
Hi. Well the simple answer to this is that you will need to watch dozens and dozens of tutorials and videos. There is no short cut to making a full game in VR. That being said, why don't you check out some of the VRTK videos and package. It can help you setup some interaction without any real programming. 
As for locomotion, every method has pros and cons. VRTK is free and supports pretty much all of them.

Once you have a handle on the basics of VRTK, you can also download my playmaker actions for VRTK and watch some of my videos. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyRBYRGl9v_byeKxT4GLG_A

Its important to note though, that you should know the basics of VRTK before trying to use any of my actions. They are not a substitute for learning the system, but rather extend them into playmaker.

Regarding VRTK, make sure you use the latest 3.3.0 alpha build from github. https://github.com/thestonefox/VRTK/tree/release/3.3.0-alpha

It has an example scene about rigging/setting up hands.

Bipolar

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 02:50:18 PM »
Thanks, im going to check it.
Developing with Gamemaker will be harder now I'm introduced the VR?

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 11:14:44 PM »
I have not used gamemaker myself.

But unity in my opinion is probably the best engine right now for VR. And VRTK is very helpful!

Bipolar

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 11:22:41 AM »
OPS, SORRY! I wanted to mean PLAYMAKER not GAMEMAKER lol

« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 03:38:24 PM by Bipolar »

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 11:13:02 PM »
You can join us at the unofficial playmaker slack chat group. A few dozen people using VRTK + the playmaker actions are there daily.

Usually easier to get support there for my actions: https://invite-playmaker-slack.herokuapp.com

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 12:16:30 AM »
I updated the github of VRTK playmaker actions.

It is confirmed working now with the latest steam VR from the asset store, latest version of playmaker from asset store, Unity 2017, and the latest version of VRTK from github (3.3.0 alpha).