playMaker

Author Topic: Ladders & Climbing  (Read 3967 times)

Drunkenoodle

• Playmaker Newbie
Ladders & Climbing
« on: July 06, 2012, 07:04:06 PM »
Hello everyone,
well I've been having a great time with Playmaker and wondered about creating some actions such as climbing a wall for instance.

One question that plays on my mind is how one would go about doing this. I've already tried the collision detection on a character controller object, and to see if I can detect when I hit say, a wall with a certain tag, it will let me climb vertically up it. Although the problem here is that I can't seem to see a way in which to implement this.

I just wondered if anyone else perhaps had some suggestions to throw in the pot, or if you have done something similar in the past?

Many thanks!
Peace.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Ladders & Climbing
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 04:23:57 AM »
Hi,

not implemented this but I would go into one possible direction, using an elevator.

as your player approach a ladder, you disable the movements and switch to the elevator control, and the user operate then the lift which will be as if the player is climbing up and down the ladder.

you can find a fully working sample of a elevator here ( package attached called lift.unitypackage):
http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=1552.msg6745#msg6745

bye,

Jean

Drunkenoodle

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Ladders & Climbing
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 04:45:45 AM »
Hi Jean,
I'll have a tinker and see what I can come up with, sounds like a darn fine idea. Thanks for the suggestion and all the best! :D