playMaker

Author Topic: Steamworks.NET BETA  (Read 14349 times)

EpicMcDude

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Steamworks.NET BETA
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2021, 09:36:25 PM »
Though i really support djaydino for his work, these kinds of things are hard to maintain by one guy working on other stuff too. Just buy heathen engineering steamworks and you're good to go for all things steam related. Support is great too.

Does it work well with Playmaker? Or rather can I use it without knowing code?

Yes and yes.

Hi Krmko,

Wondering if you could help me with this? I'm trying to use the Steamworks Foundation (free version) to unlock achievements but since this is all ScriptableObjects I'm not sure how set this up with Playmaker. I've followed their tutorial videos on how to set it all up and all that jazz, but I can't figure out how to unlock an achievement via Playmaker since I can't call methods from the script.
Can you point me in the right direction?

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2021, 07:12:30 AM »

Fat Pug Studio

• Beta Group
    • Fat Pug Studio
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2021, 07:28:33 AM »
Though i really support djaydino for his work, these kinds of things are hard to maintain by one guy working on other stuff too. Just buy heathen engineering steamworks and you're good to go for all things steam related. Support is great too.

Does it work well with Playmaker? Or rather can I use it without knowing code?

Yes and yes.

Hi Krmko,

Wondering if you could help me with this? I'm trying to use the Steamworks Foundation (free version) to unlock achievements but since this is all ScriptableObjects I'm not sure how set this up with Playmaker. I've followed their tutorial videos on how to set it all up and all that jazz, but I can't figure out how to unlock an achievement via Playmaker since I can't call methods from the script.
Can you point me in the right direction?

Actually, i did the achievements the old way and used Steamworks for leaderboards.

I have a singleton that holds the FSM's for each acheivement.

Once i, for example, pick up a gem, the gem sends the event to AchievementManagerGems FSM (Achievement). In the first state i get the steam achievement value (integer in this case) and store it.

In the next state, i add 1 (as in one gem collected) to the variable and then set the steam achievement value. Then i do some checking to see if i hit the value for achievement to unlock.

The i check to see if i already unlocked that achievement.

If i haven't, i go back to waiting for the achievement event. If i did, i set the achievement.

You have all the methods you need in the Heathen API, just get the component you need and call the one you need.

It's basically the same.

Available for Playmaker work

EpicMcDude

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2021, 12:22:04 PM »
Actually, i did the achievements the old way and used Steamworks for leaderboards.

What an awesome and extensive post, very much appreciated! I'm assuming those actions you have there are from Djaydino's OP? I haven't downloaded those as I wasn't sure I'd need them with Heathen's Steamworks, but I've just downloaded them and will look into this tonight :). Thank you both!

EDIT: I'm currently looking into this but I can't seem to find the script you have in your post -

You have all the methods you need in the Heathen API, just get the component you need and call the one you need.

It's basically the same.

I would love to do this way since this seems like the easiest way to set achievements with Playmaker, but none of my Heathen.Engineering scripts have the method to get or set an achievement.

EDIT 2: Actually, doing it the old fashioned way without the Heathen Engineering asset seems to be way easier for me personally, as I just can't wrap my head around this asset.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 02:35:07 PM by EpicMcDude »

Fat Pug Studio

• Beta Group
    • Fat Pug Studio
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2021, 03:37:35 PM »
The asset is great, i'll write in details how to set it up tomorrow. And dev on discord is really helpful.

EpicMcDude

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2021, 04:00:37 PM »
The dev on their discord channel is of great help, no doubt! I was just there searching about achievements and although he has explained how to set it up, it always involves scripting which I don't know how to do (yet!).

For now, I was able to setup my game with Dino's actions in the OP and managed to set up achievements and unlock them via Playmaker.

If you would still like to explain how to use the Heathen Engineering's asset in greater detail, I'm all for it and I'm sure many other people would be greatly appreciative of you taking the time do so! I may not use it in this project as I managed to have Achievements working, but it would be awesome to have documentation regarding this asset + Playmaker  ;)

Fat Pug Studio

• Beta Group
    • Fat Pug Studio
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2021, 04:13:10 PM »
Sorry for the delay, i'm a bit busy these days but i'll get to it.