playMaker

Author Topic: Upgrading Unity & Playmaker  (Read 1553 times)

gregacuna

Upgrading Unity & Playmaker
« on: November 21, 2018, 01:06:19 AM »
I've read a number of posts about moving a project created using Playmaker to a newer version of Unity, but not really seeing any definitive outline of the workflow. It seems to me there has to be additional steps to update specific Playmaker actions because of changes/deprecations in newer versions of Unity.

Has Hutong (or anyone) done any documentation which would help move a project from one version of Unity to another? This seems really important since many of us using Playmaker aren't coders and therefore need pointers on how to overcome the technical challenges of upgrading.

The projects we're upgrading are moving all the way from 5.4.2 to 2018.2.4f1

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Upgrading Unity & Playmaker
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 01:15:03 AM »
Hi,

woah, yes, this might be tricky... there are tons of deprecated features between the two unity versions... However, I did recently such an upgrade and it went ok, so if you are patient, it will be ok hopefully.

why 2018.2.4f1 specifically?

here's how I would do this:
- Backup ( hard copy of the whole project )
- first you need to update PlayMaker to the latest
- you verify it works in 5.4.2 across the board ( publishing included)
- move to 5.6
- verify it works across the board ( publishing included)
- Move to 2018
- verify it works across the board ( publishing included)

This is assuming you only have PlayMaker in your project, chances are you'll have other assets from the asset store, MAKE SURE you follow the same principle, and update ALL your assets prior moving up in Unity versions.
Do not carry errors from the console from one version to the other. Your project must work perfectly before you upgrade, else some editor scripts might not run and that is when corrupted data occurs.

There is no documentation on this yet. Maybe we should do one yes.

Bye,

Jean

gregacuna

Re: Upgrading Unity & Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 05:19:41 AM »
Thanks Jean...will be trying it out! Appreciate you taking the time.