playMaker

Author Topic: A* Pathfinding For Unity  (Read 19247 times)

PlatinumPlayer

• Playmaker Newbie
A* Pathfinding For Unity
« on: July 19, 2012, 12:01:24 PM »
A* is an amazing pathfinding solution for Unity projects and comes in both a free and a pro version. The free version has just about all the pro features except for a few higher level features. Out of the box the free version of A* is far superior to Unity 3.5's Pro pathfinding with dynamic obstacle detection. For a full list of features read here: http://www.arongranberg.com/unity/a-pathfinding/

I was hoping someone could make a playmaker action plugin for the free version of A*. There has been a lot of requests for pathfinding solutions on the forums and having compared  A* to Unity 3.5's pathfinding I plan to exclusively use A* and recommend it to anyone else looking for such a system.

The free version can be found here: http://www.arongranberg.com/unity/a-pathfinding/download/
Free VS pro Comparison: http://www.arongranberg.com/unity/a-pathfinding/free-vs-pro/
You Tube Example Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/4TheStone?feature=mhee
Documentation and Tutorials: http://www.arongranberg.com/astar/docs/getstarted.php
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 12:14:49 PM by PlatinumPlayer »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: A* Pathfinding For Unity
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 03:11:37 AM »
Hi,

Yes, it seems a very good system, and indeed the built in path finding of unity doesn't seem like the most flexible system out there, tho from the communication I had with the unity developers, they do plan on improving it, like having 3d path finding ( for birds, planes, etc) and dynamic navmesh, but when and whether its going to happen is still speculation

Personally, I would enjoy writing the custom actions around that, but realistically, it will not happen before Unite, end of august. So Maybe someone can step in and provide some custom actions to start with.

Bye,

Jean

play_edu

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
Hi,

Any example projects for pathfinder in play maker?

play_edu

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 09:43:11 AM »
Hi,

not yet, I am not sure if anyone has already done any action for A*. I personnally still have a lto to finish up in my free time to release on the wiki, then I'll tackle this.

If you are in need of this urgently, pm me to arrange something.

bye,

Jean

Red

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 11:26:11 AM »
I would also be keen on seeing this integrated into Playmaker!

reason being is that i'm not sure how it would interact with my current AI systems (which can not use pathfinding but do have things like wandering, node-patrolling and the conditions set up for when to be idle and when to pursue.)

pixlweaver

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 04:52:03 PM »
+1
I just started using this plugin and would love to have some actions for it!

tbelgrave

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Ispyr Inc
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 08:38:03 AM »
+1 for this!

markinjapan

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 10:57:47 AM »
Would love to have this also.

For far too long my enemies have been scraping along walls to find me :)

markinjapan

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 04:22:32 AM »
Hi

Just wondering what was happening with this as I'd really like to start working with some cleverer Ai. Judging by the popularity of this thread I'm guessing others would too.

There seem to be a few pathfinding solutions available, I haven't tried any yet. I'll be downloading the free A* pathfinding asset to see if I can get anything working. Also looking at SimplePath as it seems more basic which is all that I need.

In the meantime it would great to hear from anyone who has got any pathfinding solutions working with PlayMaker?

Thanks

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 05:52:53 AM »
Hi,

currently, I personally need to concentrating on wrapping up the IOS storeKit plugins which gives some though time to get right, and I have also pending the sql database editor wizard that I must also finish before tackling new things during my spare time.

Next, A* :)

Will see how it goes, the priority list order might change, or someone might step in with some custom actions for this.

bye,

Jean

Vermz

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 02:23:33 PM »
Nice to hear Jean! Thank you for the update!

Ahnwee

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 01:11:42 PM »
a desperate +1 from me.
Dynamic A* is the only method that I can use for my little mobs, and PlayMaker the only method by which I can build the rest of my game.
I too have hit a brick wall without a playmaker/a* marriage. We need a priest who can wed these two! :D

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 08:21:05 AM »
Hi,

Yes, I am thinking of moving this database wizard back in my order list, as there are more needs for A* in general. I'll give it some attention this month for sure. Keep bumping please.

bye,

Jean

kiriri

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 08:56:29 AM »
The beginnings of an implementation are already done in this thread :
http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=2540.0

So if you're super eager to get started you will be able to do so before Jean starts working on it. The actions right now will suffice for towerdefense games and basic rts. They will likely be extended and cleaned up by Jean later.
In case you feel an important feature is missing I can also create actions you suggest.

Good luck ;)
Best,
Sven