playMaker

Author Topic: Why isn't "Action Sequence" the default?  (Read 2883 times)

Macol90

• Playmaker Newbie
Why isn't "Action Sequence" the default?
« on: May 05, 2019, 04:14:17 AM »
I'd say 80-90% of my states are prep work for animations and responses to interaction from the user. So I almost always set my states to "Action Sequence". It took me a while to even realize I could force a script to play out in this way. Maybe setting it to the default would confuse to many new users, so why not make it an option to set states to start out as an "Action Sequence"?

Thore

Re: Why isn't "Action Sequence" the default?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 07:52:24 AM »
For me, it's the other way around. Action sequences are rare. However, I agree that it could be an option. I also agree that this feature is (too) obscure. I've learned of it by sheer accident in the forum (for those who wonder: right-click on empty space, where you place the actions).

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 01:41:13 PM »
Hi.
Most of the time i also don't use sequence, unless i want to be sure certain actions has ended before going to the next one.

in 'not sequence', actions will still start from top to bottom.
But they will not wait for other actions to 'Finish'

I do agree that the setting should be more visible for new users (maybe a check box inside the state editor screen)

Macol90

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 02:40:08 PM »
I wonder if Action Sequence is used as much by anyone else? Is there a negative impact in anyway? When I first started learning Playmaker I was getting unexpected results, I think it's just more predictable, besides I had no clue what I was doing so it's a habit at this point. Hopefully to my benefit!    ;D

Thore

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 04:45:30 PM »
I wonder if Action Sequence is used as much by anyone else? Is there a negative impact in anyway? When I first started learning Playmaker I was getting unexpected results, I think it's just more predictable, besides I had no clue what I was doing so it's a habit at this point. Hopefully to my benefit!    ;D

It's slower. Only one action at a time is being processed.

Macol90

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 06:40:42 PM »

It's slower. Only one action at a time is being processed.

I wondered about that   ...I figured since the CPU was more focused on each action there would be less overhead, so fewer cycles per action, but that's probably relative to what's being requested. In the end experience and moderation is best.

I'd still like to see an option to set States to an Action Sequence by default though. Preferably easy to access, maybe a checkbox in the relevant drop down menu perhaps?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 06:43:46 PM by Macol90 »

DanielThomas

• Beta Group
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 08:18:33 PM »
@Thore Are you sure about that? Or is it a guess? I'm asking because I'm curious if you know this for certain.

For me, I would guess like Macol90. I also mostly use sequence because if the predictability. But now I'm curious if there is performance gains to not using it.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 08:46:39 PM »
There shouldn't be any real performance difference. Technically action sequence might be a bit faster since it's only updating one action every frame instead of all the actions, but in practice, it shouldn't make a difference. I would use the mode that makes the most sense for what the state is doing. Sometimes you want the actions running at the same time, other times one after each other.

Macol90

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 10:45:48 AM »
@DanielThomas - I think it can be faster but with other scripts/dynamics/graphics running it can also be slower. Experience and moderation. That's all there is to it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 10:48:21 AM by Macol90 »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 07:33:33 AM »
Hi,

I also use sequence rarely, but I also do think it should be exposed more, and probably has its state visuals also indicating this, like we have now a small icon for when a state sends an event.

Bye,

Jean