playMaker

Author Topic: How do I use 3d Text in Playmaker  (Read 11937 times)

Slater

How do I use 3d Text in Playmaker
« on: August 02, 2012, 06:27:43 PM »
Hi,

I can only find Set GUI Text and not 3D text in Playmaker. How do I go about to print 3D text in my scene?

Regards/
Slater

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: How do I use 3d Text in Playmaker
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 10:03:24 AM »
Hi,

a 3d text, is a gameObject like all the other, it's actually nothin special, unlike a gui text. What do you mean by use? do you mean positioning on screen? do you mean editing the content or properties?

bye,

Jean

Slater

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 12:40:30 PM »
I went with GUItext instead since it worked better. I still dont understand how I would go about getting 3d text to be written into a scene using 3d text though. You say its just lika any other gameobject, well yes, but I dont have 3d text as a playmaker action in action browser, so how would I go about to do it then? Using get/set properties maybe? Havent really understood that fully yet either.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 04:03:18 AM »
Hi,

Yes, 3d text will require some slightly more advanced set up. So if you have it working with guitext, very good.

bye,

Jean

PolyMad

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 02:08:01 PM »
I would like to know how to change 3D text properties as well.
Tried to check the SET PROPERTY action but I can't find anything about 3D text...

Horror

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 07:15:39 PM »
I was looking into the same thing; using 3d text with textured planes and a camera overlay to do my GUI rather than the standard GUI Texture / Text. It would be a simple way to get around the annoying GUI resolution scaling problems but I haven't done it yet, due to the lack of a Set 3D Text action ;)

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 07:22:53 PM »
I did a quick test and you can set a TextMesh Text property with Set Property.

Just drag the Text Mesh component into Target Object and find the text property.

See attached screenshot.

Horror

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 07:32:28 PM »
Thanks Alex, not sure how I missed that property the last time I went looking for it... Must have been looking for "3D Text" or something  :-\

PolyMad

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 06:47:33 AM »
I tried the procedure you wrote but it's not working.

My target object in the SET PROPERTY is the right one, a 3D text, components in it are TEXT MESH and MESH RENDERER.
But in the SET PROPERTY options the OBJECT TYPE is reported as UnityEngine.GameObject, and in the Property menu I only have some GUITEXT.TEXT, nothing about 3D or text, except GUITEXT, which of course does not work.

Horror

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 08:35:45 AM »
I don't have playMaker handy to test it right now, but I prefer to use variables when working with Set Property.

Try creating a new variable, name it whatever you want and set the Variable Type to Unity Engine > TextMesh. Set your text game object as the value.

Now go back to your Set Property action and set the Target Object to the variable you just created.

You should be able to change its properties this way.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 09:33:01 AM »

My target object in the SET PROPERTY is the right one, a 3D text, components in it are TEXT MESH and MESH RENDERER.
But in the SET PROPERTY options the OBJECT TYPE is reported as UnityEngine.GameObject, and in the Property menu I only have some GUITEXT.TEXT, nothing about 3D or text, except GUITEXT, which of course does not work.

You have to drag the *Text Mesh Component* into the Target Object field. If it's on another GameObject use Lock in the FSM Editor to lock the current FSM selection.

PolyMad

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 11:00:07 AM »

You have to drag the *Text Mesh Component* into the Target Object field. If it's on another GameObject use Lock in the FSM Editor to lock the current FSM selection.

Ahh now that's the trick!

But I'm still not done at all... I enclosed the prefab because I really can't see what's the problem.
Actually, it's not even the property not being set, it's the trigger not working and I can't see why.
If you could give it a look... it's very fast, it's just the TRIGGER object from the TRIGGER TUTORIAL video.

PolyMad

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 03:15:09 AM »
OK so there seems to be some problem with triggers.
The tutorial ONLY WORKS with the first person player character.
I tried also to use tags, I applied a tag to a sphere collider trigger, which is child to a flying camera, and set that tag up in the FSM action trigger but it's not working.
On another side, tags seem DO working, because if I set up a tag on the FSM trigger, and then enter with the first person player character (that I leave untagged), the trigger does not fire up.

[ADMIN: Link removed. Please don't post projects that include Playmaker!]
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 11:43:02 AM by Alex Chouls »

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 11:48:17 AM »
Hi,

Trigger problems are usually setup problems in Unity, not related to Playmaker specifically.

There's a "collision action matrix" half way down this page that can help debug collisions in Unity:
http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Components/class-BoxCollider.html

Also Unity Answers is full of questions about triggers and collisions! It can be a tricky area...

Having said that, I'll try to find some time to double check the tutorial and make sure there are no bugs...