playMaker

Author Topic: Playmaker Ecosystem gui bug? [SOLVED]  (Read 2457 times)

Reactorcore

• Playmaker Newbie
Playmaker Ecosystem gui bug? [SOLVED]
« on: May 14, 2019, 02:00:52 PM »
Just installed Unity 2019.1.2f1 with Playmaker Version 1.9.0 Patch 15 and Ecosystem browser 0.6.5.

Upon pressing the Browse button to bring up uploaded actions, packages, templates and samples (no filters are on and nothing is written into the search field. Just open the browser and hit browse to show everything) I get this message popping up in the Console window with a red warning:

Code: [Select]
ArgumentException: Getting control 1's position in a group with only 1 controls when doing repaint
Aborting
UnityEngine.GUILayoutGroup.GetNext () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/LayoutGroup.cs:122)
UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutArea (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, System.Type layoutType) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUILayoutUtility.cs:361)
UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginArea (UnityEngine.Rect screenRect, UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUILayout.cs:303)
UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginArea (UnityEngine.Rect screenRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUILayout.cs:291)
Net.FabreJean.PlayMaker.Ecosystem.EcosystemBrowser.OnGUI_ItemList () (at Assets/net.fabrejean/Editor/PlayMaker/Ecosystem/EcosystemBrowser.cs:1991)
Net.FabreJean.PlayMaker.Ecosystem.EcosystemBrowser.OnGUI_Main () (at Assets/net.fabrejean/Editor/PlayMaker/Ecosystem/EcosystemBrowser.cs:850)
Net.FabreJean.PlayMaker.Ecosystem.EcosystemBrowser.OnGUI () (at Assets/net.fabrejean/Editor/PlayMaker/Ecosystem/EcosystemBrowser.cs:1167)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <1f0c1ef1ad524c38bbc5536809c46b48>:0)
Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <1f0c1ef1ad524c38bbc5536809c46b48>:0)
System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <1f0c1ef1ad524c38bbc5536809c46b48>:0)
UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:345)
UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:339)
UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect onGUIPosition, UnityEngine.Rect viewRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:315)
UnityEditor.DockArea.DrawView (UnityEngine.Rect viewRect, UnityEngine.Rect dockAreaRect, System.Boolean floatingWindow, System.Boolean isBottomTab) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:373)
UnityEditor.DockArea.OldOnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:340)
UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 parentTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Boolean isComputingLayout, UnityEngine.Rect layoutSize) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:295)
UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 worldTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:481)
UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:455)
UnityEngine.UIElements.UIR.ImmediateRenderer.Draw (UnityEngine.UIElements.UIR.DrawChainState dcs) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Renderer/UIRenderer/UIRenderers.cs:447)
UnityEngine.UIElements.UIR.UIRenderDevice.ContinueChain (UnityEngine.UIElements.UIR.RendererBase head, UnityEngine.UIElements.UIR.DrawChainState dcs, System.Boolean outerChainsWithMeshRenderer) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Renderer/UIRenderer/UIRenderDevice.cs:841)
UnityEngine.UIElements.UIR.UIRenderDevice.DrawChain (UnityEngine.UIElements.UIR.RendererBase head, UnityEngine.Rect viewport, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 projection, UnityEngine.Texture atlas) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Renderer/UIRenderer/UIRenderDevice.cs:824)
UnityEngine.UIElements.UIRRepaintUpdater.DrawChain (UnityEngine.Rect topRect, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 projection) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Renderer/UIRRepaintUpdater.cs:218)
UnityEngine.UIElements.UIRRepaintUpdater.Update () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Renderer/UIRRepaintUpdater.cs:190)
UnityEngine.UIElements.VisualTreeUpdater.UpdateVisualTree () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/VisualTreeUpdater.cs:70)
UnityEngine.UIElements.Panel.Repaint (UnityEngine.Event e) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Panel.cs:589)
UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.DoDispatch (UnityEngine.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel panel) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.cs:240)
UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.cs:78)
UnityEngine.GUIUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:179)

Nothing has crashed, frozen or broken. The Ecosystem does loadup a list of actions and other stuff as requested, its just an error appears when I do this. I'm just concerned and curious if this is going to be a danger to my project in the future. I'd like to lock in with a stable workspace and develop a project within it and stick with it until its done, without updating Unity or anything else to keep things from running into issues that could arise from updates, hence why I'm asking about this error as a precaution for the future.

Can I safely ignore this error or should I switch back to Unity 2018.3.3f1, where the error was not present?

What would you recommend to use which version of Unity and Playmaker for the most stable and error free development environment for the next 2 years?

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 07:48:26 AM by Reactorcore »

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Re: Playmaker Ecosystem gui bug?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 02:38:27 PM »
Jean should confirm, but this error: ArgumentException: Getting control 1's position in a group with only 1 controls when doing repaint is generally a harmless GUI layout error. Unity is making some changes to the editor UI code under the hood in 2019 so some things that worked in previous versions throw this error in 2019. But my guess is this error is harmless if everything else is working as expected.

Reactorcore

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Playmaker Ecosystem gui bug?
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 05:31:47 PM »
Jean should confirm, but this error: ArgumentException: Getting control 1's position in a group with only 1 controls when doing repaint is generally a harmless GUI layout error. Unity is making some changes to the editor UI code under the hood in 2019 so some things that worked in previous versions throw this error in 2019. But my guess is this error is harmless if everything else is working as expected.

Thank you greatly, knowing that gives me clarity on the situation.  :)

Hearing the point about editor UI changes seems to me like Unity 2019 is in flux, so I'm guessing I'd do best to get one of those 2018 LTS versions of Unity to instead of using the latest default 2019.1 version for my project.

That way I can ensure that stability remains high and the other addons/assets I've purchased will remain operational.

Thanks.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Playmaker Ecosystem gui bug? [SOLVED]
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 01:08:33 AM »
Hi,

yes, as Alex pointed out, that argument exception is harmless, you can safely ignore it, it's annoying, I agree but I never could find out where exactly I should edit the code, and there will be a revamp of the ecosystem interface using the new and up coming 2019 editor UI system, so that will do for now as is.

but that issue is present in earlier versions of Unity, it's not just in 2019. However, 2018 LTS is a good option still to guarantee stability over time especially on a long haul project.

Bye,

Jean

Reactorcore

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Playmaker Ecosystem gui bug? [SOLVED]
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 05:38:43 AM »
@jeanfabre

Thank you for the confirmation, it gives me more feeling of safety to go ahead with less fear of something breaking now that I know that error message is harmless.

It does make sense to wait for the 2019 editor UI upgrade to be finalized on Unity's side before trying to fix something now within the Ecosystem Browser that the Unity's upgrade would break soon after if the fix was attempted to do now.

Thanks.  8)