playMaker

Author Topic: File path on Mac (action specific for saving pictures)  (Read 944 times)

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
File path on Mac (action specific for saving pictures)
« on: July 04, 2019, 07:39:40 PM »
Hi,
I'm using Take Camera Screenshot.
In File Path Setup, there are three options:

• File Path
  • Use MyPictures
  • Use Default Folder

It may sound dumb but since actions don't come with drop down menus (enums) where only one single option can be validated and the others ignored, I have to use combinations and I'm a bit at loss with how these options and their settings combine.
You guys may want to make tests too with permutations of NONE, ( ) and (x) for all three options: the outcomes are not what you'd expect.

May someone please explain how to use the first option on Mac to save files in a specific folder and what setting I should use for the last two options?

thx

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: File path on Mac (action specific for saving pictures)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 04:25:40 AM »
Hi,

The first option means you have to provide a valid path, which is likely where it fails

Can you paste the actual filepath you are using?

I agree, these actions are not intuitive enough when the interface doesn't enforce a proper setup out of the box... Let's first make sure this works, and then I'll see if I can improve that action without breaking existing projects using it, likely I use error check to warn the dev.

Bye,

Jean

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
Re: File path on Mac (action specific for saving pictures)
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 12:09:26 PM »
Hi Jean! I had been busy and this thread took a backseat (like, end of the school bus backseat).
The path I used was leading to a folder I created in the root drive, on the desktop; for the test, it seemed to me like a quick and dirty but reliable way, following Mac "guidelines" as understood by casual users who put everything there, so I thought at least that would be a path that would be logical, easy to define and equally legitimate.
I have the full path displayed at the bottom of the window and I collected this access path with right click: Services > Copy path.
I tried all sorts of semantics, even using the ~ or not, trying absolute or relative writing, etc.
Didn't work.

The only one that worked thus far was the official Pictures folder, in Mac name > Users > [name of user] > Pictures.
It's actually the MyPictures (2) in the Screenshot action.
The two other options, File Path (1) and Use Default Folder (3), are set to None.

It's not a big big problem either. Don't anguish over it. :-)
At least one option does work nicely.

The question of enum menus in actions is a larger one, that of options that are obviously exclusive of each others (ergo only one option can be valid at a time). Even more since I recall 1.9 introduced a kind of dynamic UI for action, where an option changes a section of the action's block. That's a neat new [UI] function available but I'm not sure if many users rely on it.
It would certainly look sleeker but that's for another time.