playMaker

Author Topic: Using Playmaker in a Collaborative/Team Setting  (Read 1321 times)

Wrensey

• Playmaker Newbie
Using Playmaker in a Collaborative/Team Setting
« on: July 23, 2019, 09:14:11 PM »
Hello!

I have a question about using playmaker in a team environment.

Particularly how well Playmaker works when being used with version control software such as Perforce and other collaboration software.

Basically, I want to use playmaker while working with a team and I want to know if I send them my project to work in will any functionality I made in Playmaker still work?
Follow me on twitter!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Using Playmaker in a Collaborative/Team Setting
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 02:10:05 AM »
Hi,

It works, I am using Github successfully for several years, never tried perforce, and we know that Unity own collaborate tool is buggy and doesn't play nice with PlayMaker unfortunatly, so we do not recommand using Unity own collbarote system.

the key is avoid concurrent editing on fsm components, because PlayMaker internal data ( states, variables, links) is serialized in one chunck of binvary data, it would not be possible to make a diff of changes between two concurrent commits easily ( if at all).

given that, it's ok, the same apply with scenes, images, animator, animations, and many other aspect of your Unity projects.

The key is to commit often, litteraly almost at every step of the way, I can commit 10 times per day, each commit being very precise and contextual. Don't commit everything in one go, cut it down ( added asset, modified scene, etc etc)

this way you minize work loss should unsolveable concurrent editing occurs. Which it should not if your team is organized and you are communicating throughout the process. Be always reacheable via a live chat system of your choice, say what your are doing, what you are going to do, use a planner and a task manager, and stick to it, then it will be smooth ( as smooth as it can possibly can... )

Bye,

Jean

Wrensey

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 08:27:03 AM »
Hi Jean, thanks for the info! That's good to know

What if I zipped up my project and sent  it to another person to work on, would they have to have Playmaker installed beforehand for my FSMs to work? Or would Playmaker be included in the project?
Follow me on twitter!

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 07:06:40 PM »
Hi.
The other person must have purchased playmaker to work on your project.
And its not allowed to share the playmaker.dll file and install folder in public.

You can zip and send back and forth your projects but i strongly suggest to use Github.
You can also use github desktop for easier usage, it takes a little bit of time to get used to it but it is very well worth to learn to use this.

It saved my projects many times and also sending back and forth changes are a lot faster, as you only need to push/pull the changes that are made, not the whole project.