playMaker

Author Topic: Loading in VR - how to prevent display freezing?  (Read 1068 times)

ToxicFrog

• Beta Group
Loading in VR - how to prevent display freezing?
« on: October 10, 2019, 04:45:58 PM »
Hi Playmakers,

I've got a VR project (using VRTK). The full game (as of now) takes place in once scene.

My problem is that I see the Splash Screen, as expected, but then the display freezes while the scene loads. Once it's loaded, everything performs as expected.

My question is this:
How can I prevent the display from freezing as the game is loaded? I tried an asynch load, but that didn't help.

I've tracked the problem down to Pools preloading (I'm using Pathological's Pool Manager). I tried using the PM actions to create Prefab pools, but that causes the same problem.

Is there an action to incrementally add prefabs to a Pool (add 5, then another 5, etc)? I suspect this might solve my issue.

Any advice is appreciated - thanks!

tcmeric

• Beta Group
Re: Loading in VR - how to prevent display freezing?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 01:41:04 AM »
Hi TF.

The scene that you are loading into probably has too many resources. Opening all of those resources (materials, models, music) all take time.

Your best bet it to just publish out this first scene, and then check the build logs. This will let you see what is in the scene. Look to see where you can cut the fat. Look for especially large textures, music, etc. Also are you using substances from substance designer? If set up improperly, they can take a long time.

Next, most games use loading screens.

Splash --> Menu --> Loading Scene --> Game.

I have a tutorial, and actions for a cheap asset to handle VR loading screens.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/gui/smooth-scene-transition-55812

https://github.com/dumbgamedev/KetosGamesSmoothScene

ToxicFrog

• Beta Group
Re: Loading in VR - how to prevent display freezing?
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 07:30:14 PM »
That looks like just what I need - thanks once again, tcmeric!!