playMaker

Author Topic: How to do this in PlayMaker?  (Read 1393 times)

design@playbox.tech

• Playmaker Newbie
How to do this in PlayMaker?
« on: November 25, 2019, 09:59:23 PM »
Hey all,

So I found this video on YouTube,
from Brackeys about how to do a Turn Based Combat system in Unity.

I was curious how easy could you do this with just using PlayMaker and not needing any code?

Thanks!
Chris
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 03:57:16 AM by djaydino »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: How to do this in PlayMaker?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 01:46:54 AM »
Hi,

uhm.. interesting little project!

yes, that can be done with just PlayMaker without any problem. The way you are going to do this is completly different then they way he did however, because PLaymaker is not c#, the design patterns are different.

let me give you some pointers to get you started:

1: understand the concept and game play fully, it's critical to have a good overview, the video does it very well indeed.

2: start with the player itself, make a gameobject called "Player", make an fsm "Player" and deal with the health, work with health using global events ( so that other fsm can tell the player what to do for example:

"PLAYER / ON TAKES DAMAGE", pass a variable which will represent how much damage he took

"PLAYER / HEALS", pass a variable which will represent how much he recovers.

then create another fsm on another gameobject "Game controller" for example, and send this globals event using some simple UI buttons, just to make sure you have the player logic good.

carry on with checking if he's still alive or dead after taking damages, and if dead broadcast from the player itself a global event "PLAYER / IS DEAD"

let's work on this step by step, ok? Let me know how you managed the above.

Bye,

Jean

design@playbox.tech

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 06:22:11 AM »
[EDIT: I removed the various html tags, they were messing the whole thing up]
Hi Jean,

First off thanks for your reply. I'm working on putting it together. In response to your

1: understand the concept and game play fully, it's critical to have a good overview, the video does it very well indeed.

Lets say eventually I wanted this to be part of a larger game, say like something resembling Final Fantasy III, after building just the battle part, would it be easy to then add it to "explore and start random battles" section? (this being the random battle portion).

Once I finish working on the battle portion I'll post my results!

Chris
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 08:02:56 AM by jeanfabre »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 08:05:38 AM »
Hi,

If you want this to grow,  you should be good if you take the approach I proposed, where you create an event that can not be mistaken for something else.

for ennemies, if you have several during the same battle, you should however not using events like "ENNEMY A /DO THIS", bu instead have an ennemy manager keeping track of what is the current active ennemy, etc etc, and maintain references to them via a list, using arrayMaker or the built in fsm array

Bye,

Jean