playMaker

Author Topic: FSM editor window LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG....  (Read 1731 times)

RAVEN001

• Junior Playmaker
  • BANNED
FSM editor window LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG....
« on: December 16, 2019, 05:40:06 AM »
Is there nothing that can be done to stop fsm editor lag? any fsm with over 36 values slows to a snails pace. seriously, a snail would be faster, i upgraded to a gen2 threadripper 32 cores @3.5ghz, 64gb ddr 3600 and a gtx 2080 12gb gpu in the hope it would deal with the lag. thats 10k not well spent. any large fsm's slow to almost a halt, like sitting here for 30 seconds, watching one character of what i typed in a second slowly showing up over 30 seconds. Can you assign multiple worker threads to finish a task? i mean, i could spare 50 threads before it would impact my system. could you assign more complex tasks to the gpu? yes ive disabled auto error checks, it maybe gave me 30% increase in speed, still, really not acceptable. im a solo dev, i cant afford to be waiting minutes to complete a state which should take 10 seconds. No there are no loops in my fsms, just progressional, nor do they reference prefabs. I REALLY hope there is some way of making use of my extensive resources to fix this....but...maybe not.
BANNED

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: FSM editor window LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG....
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 12:53:08 AM »
Hi,

Do you have many prefab instances in your scene? Is it still lagging when you don't have any fsm selected in the fsm editor?

How does your game perform when published?

Bye,

Jean

RAVEN001

• Junior Playmaker
  • BANNED
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 02:49:15 AM »
the only prefabs i have are bullets, they are pooled and instantiated at runtime. so to clarify on the second part, its the editor itself which lags, i know to close the editor and inspector windows when testing, the lag isnt when i press play, its the editor itself. published apks (im targeting android) run silky smooth, as i mentioned before the most painful fsm's are complex but do not loop, its a loot roll system which calls a random int which then corresponds with a sprite to show what you have collected. it runs once then ends, but there are 36 possible ints, which in the fsm editor window slows down excessively. is that enough info? let me know cheers
BANNED

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 02:56:02 AM »
Hi,

ok, I see. Maybe it calls for a refactoring and the use of ArrayMaker so that your fsm go back to a smaller size and implement some dynamic logic to access your data instead of hardwiring everything?

basically, you can put all your sprites in an array, then have a dedicated second array for pooling ( populate an array with 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8, etc), take one out randomly and delete it from the array. Reset and restart.

the above can be made in a 4 5 state max and will not stale the playmaker editor.

Let me know if you need help on this.

Bye,

Jean