playMaker

Author Topic: Unity DOTS system will Playmaker support it?  (Read 5441 times)

LuminRabbit

• Lumin Rabbit
Unity DOTS system will Playmaker support it?
« on: December 24, 2019, 07:19:13 PM »

Will playmaker be supporting or work with unity’s new dots system?

I ask because it seems like that's where unity's future is headed and Im hoping playmaker is there with it.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 07:57:03 PM by Kodagames »
Have I said how much I love playmaker!!! This is one amazing tool

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Unity DOTS system will Playmaker support it?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 03:25:15 AM »
Hi,

I don't think that in the near/mid future it will be supported.

DOTS is a different beast all together and I don't think it is currently or anywhere near several years from now going to replace the current GameObject/Component approach that Unity has.

The problem is that DOTS needs to be decorated with the same intuitive interface that made Unity what it is today, so DOTS is currently only a thing if you are a big studio full of top notch developers not scared of having no intuitive interface to develop.

for 90% of the Unity community, especially artists and indies, the current development approach is totally fine and can deliver amazing experiences, and that's unlikely to change in the next few years.

Bye,

Jean

LuminRabbit

• Lumin Rabbit
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 10:00:10 AM »
Hi Jean,

I really appreciate the response and believe we have a few years as well. It reminds me of when C# took over unity’s JavaScript (I could see it coming) and I believe the same thing is coming especially for mobile games as the performance looks amazing.

I’m devoted to playmaker and hoping when unity does playmaker is ready 😉

Thank you for all you’ve done for us so far, without playmaker I probably wouldn’t be making games.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 04:28:46 AM »
Hi,

I think javascript to c# was different because it did not required a total rethinking nor rebuilding of the toolkit and design patterns, with DOTS, it's a complete new system with a completly different approach, the transition is a lot ore demanding and risky.

When DOTS will mature, because, even as is, it is still questionnable wether it's the right approach, some other ECS framework types exists so for Unity own take at ECS to be a successfull one adopted by the industry is still something that remains to be seen. I am sure hutong Games will consider supporting it, there are no reaon why, however Unity learned from these tens years of PlayMaker total dominance in the visual scripting area (litteraly the #1 paid assets of all time on the asset store) and It seems they want to provide a visual scripting environment for DOTS, so the competition between unity/PlayMaker on that aspect will be interesting and certainly a very positive outcome for the developers.

Bye,

Jean

LuminRabbit

• Lumin Rabbit
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 11:32:35 PM »
Thanks Jean!

Those who think visually like myself will be here as the new visual scripting system is kind of like bolt its just not intuitive or fun for me (I've tried it recently) which is why playmaker is the best by far!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 07:57:33 AM »
Hi,

yep, they totally missed the mark once again, they keep coming from the wrong angle on this, trying to mimic how we script manually and turn it into something visual which is always going to be less powerful and adding no benefits whatsoever to conventional scripting.

PlayMaker is the way to go for visual scripting, but no publisher goes down this road because the big issue is that custom actions are necessary to provide the interface between an api and the visual development enviroment, so, it is not ideal in this way and requires a tremendous support effort, which is not acceptable for Unity, that's understandable, they need a solution that can scale and accept any new api, Playmaker can not do that fully, it can cover basics stuff but that's it.

So, yeah... there is no competition... :)

Bye,

Jean