playMaker

Author Topic: Learning Playmaker as an experienced programmer  (Read 1298 times)

tyresebro1

• Playmaker Newbie
Learning Playmaker as an experienced programmer
« on: February 05, 2020, 02:41:17 AM »
Are there any learning resources to learn Playmaker for someone who's totally comfortable programming?

And am I correct in thinking that there's some things that can be done faster/more efficiently in Playmaker compared to writing a script from scratch? One of the things I get concerned about with my projects is after a certain point you start accumulating tons and tons of scripts, I feel like a lot of these scripts could've been done in PM instead.

I'm an experienced programmer and can comfortably write anything in C# in Unity, and as I look YouTube and google I find all the Playmaker tutorials are targeted for complete beginners who don't know coding. I'm neither of these.

Is there any resource (preferably in video form as that what works best for me) that can teach me playmaker without wasting time explaining Unity/programming basics? There's some short intro videos here and there but nothing in depth it seems

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Learning Playmaker as an experienced programmer
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 07:22:51 AM »
Hi,

You nailed it. Indeed Playmaker is a great way to create reusable codes.

I think you are underestimating the simplicity of Playmaker :) what is it that you want to learn that is not in the video you watched so far?

once you understand what an FSM is, what is an event, what is a transition, and how actions are executed within a state, that's it...any c# skills then comes down to what you can do inside Custom Actions.

To create custom actions, your best starting point is to open the existing actions and study how they are made, the principles are here also very simple.

Let me know what you'd like to understand and I'll try to explain more in details.

Bye,

Jean

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Learning Playmaker as an experienced programmer
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 03:51:50 AM »
Hi.
Here is also a link to the API Reference :)

Also the Ecosystem is very useful as you can find many 'custom actions' and packages
Like for example 'Data Maker' (very useful to work with xml) and 'Array Maker' (more advanced than playmaker build in arrays, and also has hash tables)