playMaker

Author Topic: Simple Camera Shake/Free Camera  (Read 3618 times)

acornbringer

• Junior Playmaker
    • Acornbringer.com
Simple Camera Shake/Free Camera
« on: February 12, 2020, 09:16:41 AM »
Hey there!

I needed a PlayMaker solution for a camera shake/free camera effect to use in my cinematics so I came up with this and thought I would share it here (FSM Image Attached):

This uses a couple of actions which can be found in the Ecosystem so it's easiest if you have that plugged in. Otherwise you can get them directly from GitHub.

Firstly, the state uses three "Perlin Noise" actions to generate floating numbers between 0 and 1 to be used as X, Y, and Z rotation values of the camera. The noise is smooth so the movement animates smoothly as long as "Every Frame" is checked on. I also add a different "Seed" for each of the Perlin Noise actions so the movement of each axis never synchronizes.

Next I use another action from the Ecosystem called "Float Remap" to take the 0 to 1 value of the Perlin noise and remap it to a better rotation value such as -1 to 1 or what ever suits your needs. I'm using a Min and Max variable for these numbers so I can adjust the turbulence on the fly.

You can ignore the Float Add action I have in my image for normal use cases.

Finally, I use a Set Rotation action to set the X, Y, and Z rotations of the camera to the variables I made using the Perlin Noise. This also should be set to every frame.

So long as your camera is independent of other animation, this should create a nice and simple camera shake effect :)

Hope this helps someone out!

-

NOTE: There are Unity plugins for much more elaborate and complex camera movement such as Cinemachine (included in Unity 2018 and up) so I would recommend looking into that if you require more serious lifting.

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Simple Camera Shake/Free Camera
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 12:36:19 PM »
Hi.
Looks nice!

Thanks for sharing!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Simple Camera Shake/Free Camera
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 01:57:49 AM »
Hi,

You should also check Cinemachine, it has some noise system integrated on its camera.

Bye,

Jean