playMaker

Author Topic: how about playmaker for Unreal5?  (Read 2518 times)

tyrot

• Playmaker Newbie
how about playmaker for Unreal5?
« on: May 14, 2020, 07:49:27 AM »
Actually for a nonprogrammer user like me - i do not use Unity :) i use playmaker.. Simple is that..

After seeing Unreal5 - i was thinking what if we have playmaker for Unreal how cool it would be..

I know there is Blueprint there but - it is not same as playmaker.

May be as a side project you may think to expand playmaker over Unreal's domain. I am sure Epic would be very happy to welcome you - and your users there..

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: how about playmaker for Unreal5?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 03:14:33 AM »
Hi,

I have proposed such path several time, why not making playmaker for javascript on webpages, unreal, etc. the difficulty lies in that you are basically in for a complete rewrite of the tool, which means massive investment up front to deliver the product in a reasonable timeframe. it simply is difficult to justify in terms of investment.

we would also need dedicated teams for support, with senior unreal devs that would believe in playmaker, and that's the second problem.

but in theory, yes, playmaker on unreal would be amazing indeed!!

Bye,

Jean

tyrot

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 08:22:46 PM »
Jean thanks for taking time and replying i thought i asked a dumb question.. Last 4 days i am dealing with Unreal 4.25 and with my limited Playmaker knowledge - i have watched many BluePrint videos...

Yes BluePrint really gets into deep of Unreal, it almost reaches anywhere.. on the paper you might say, Unreal has a Blueprint you do not need playmaker..

BUT IT DOES NEED.

There is no bridge like Playmaker. Even if you could release Playmaker actions for BluePrint it would be hit.

You do not need to code a playmaker window even, BluePrint has everything in one panel - variable,functions,components etc - what it needs is some changes in BluePrint UI.

I feel like Unity will lose many desktop - console oriented indies like me so it would be awesome to have Playmaker icon within Unreal.

I hope you will have extra sources for money and developers for bringing the real indie revolution to Unreal.

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 05:07:16 AM »
Hi.
Blueprint works a whole different way than Playmaker, you can't just do some changes to the Ui and make it work like Playmaker :)

its what's happening behind the 'scenes' what makes Playmaker different from blueprint / dots / bolt / etc.
its a whole different system :)

imtrobin

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 07:07:31 AM »
What I would like to see is a state machine like Playmaker. This is close but the usage is not as friendly as playmaker.

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/logic-driver-lite

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 02:12:28 PM »
Okay, it's most certain that this idea has crossed the mind of many users but unless Playmaker got a strong financial support, it don't see this happening anytime soon because it's a huge amount of work and risk for the publishers.

PM suffers from an implied negative value, where contrary to most if not all plugins that add in content or functionality and help developers, PM replaces the coder, or at the very least adds an unwanted layer and even forces him to forget about the custom C# to relearn a new "programming" tool. It's fairly niche and does not even benefit from any form of large scale promotion.
The only way to grow this into a guaranteed, comfy and regular six digits software would require pushing it to other platforms. Yet each new branch, or support, would as said above require its own team, so the margin wouldn't be that exceptional.

A push to other systems might be abated by the tool's already established prestige on Unity. Obviously the more HG waits the more they risk seeing the spot being taken for good. But languages and tools have different logics and what works well for Unity might not translate so well to others, although looking at PM, I'd say it's fairly generic enough.
Ultimately, deploying to other systems would be a question of exploiting a potential market but providing a multi-system tool provides no advantage to a software or game publisher, contrary to a multi-platform middleware that makes accessible several markets with one single centralized tool, for a question of commodity.
However, extending Playmaker to a free language or engine, that would make a big difference to small publishers, assuming the systems and languages are robust enough.