playMaker

Author Topic: RotateGUI -  (Read 4309 times)

eccoecco

• Playmaker Newbie
RotateGUI -
« on: October 08, 2012, 01:05:03 PM »
Hey,
I'm just trying to animate a GUI texture.  As you can see it's a very simple workflow that I have.  What am I missing?
E

kiriri

Re: RotateGUI -
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 04:57:44 PM »
the GUI must be called after the rotate gui. So if you create a GUI box under your GUI rotate action (in the same state) it should work.
Best,
Sven

Sjones

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 03:28:56 AM »
if you are using the standard unity gui you can not rotate it, you have to use some other UI system.

kiriri

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 06:11:20 AM »
if you are using the standard unity gui you can not rotate it, you have to use some other UI system.

not anymore you don't ;) Tested that one myself. Create first a rotate gui, set the rotation value to say 60, then create a gui box, set the style to box and have a sweet look at your game view :D
Best,
Sven

Sjones

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 10:36:01 AM »
im using unity 3.5.6 and I can not rotate gui textures or gui text, if your using the code gui layout it might, but as said, the standard gui from the game object menu (gui texture or gui text) these can not rotate and as the opening post stated they used a GUI texture, if this is the standard he will not be able to do so unless he changes to a different type or system.

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/11022/how-to-rotate-gui-textures.html
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/30314-SOLVED-GUITexture-rotation
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/118163-Rotate-GUITexture

kiriri

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 10:47:19 AM »
You know, we could have this discussion all day long :D I agree that the stuff that you create from the GameObject menu is indeed quite useless ;) No seriously, I didn't think he actually meant that stuff, so sorry, but it is the proper solution anyways I think.

Put a texture in it and you've got a rotated image. Put a texture from a texture atlas in it and you've got a sprite animation.
whyever would you use GUI texts and GUI textures? Playmaker provides much better stuff.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:04:26 AM by kiriri »
Best,
Sven

Sjones

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 11:22:51 AM »
=.= thats not the standard gui texture to what I am referring to, thats a gui box with a texture in it, thus when I said that other means may be possible was true, but "GUI texture" from the GameObject -> Create Other -> GUI texture menu can not be rotated.

using this standard method, rotate object, rotate gui or any other rotate, even manually entering it in the objects location in the inspector view will not rotate the standard GUI.

As such I do belive that the method you are using is the code version of unities UI that playmaker exposed for our use, this if I am correct is the onGUI () or something like that function within unity script.

to the opening post, I have not used this part of the UI, I had only started with the default gui text and gui texture and moved onto ngui.

I can confirm that the below, using playmaker and gui box and rotate gui does work, im not sure how to use the playmaker script part of gui or its limitations (if any) let us know how you get on with it.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 01:48:55 AM »
Hi,

If you really aim at doing a proper UI for your game or applicatoin with nice graphics, you really need to invest into nGUI or EZGUI/SM2 or other similar 2d frameworks. Many have actions for playmaker if you search the forum, wiki etc, and it will get the job done, and well done. If you use the unity GUI system... you will waiste your time if you actually plan on providing a good and rich UI, and the Unity GUI integration is very limited and constraining, so I strongly suggest not to use this, only for debugging, quick prototyping or when you really fully grasp Unity GUI, playmaker AND scripting to write custom actions to fit your needs.

bye,

Jean