playMaker

Author Topic: Pool Manager  (Read 3932 times)

gamedivision

Pool Manager
« on: October 18, 2012, 03:45:26 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has attempted to create a pool manager,as spawning and destroying characters isn't good for performance,im wondering if creating a manager that controls destroyable objects on scene.or would it be better to buy this,
http://poolmanager.path-o-logical.com/

markinjapan

Re: Pool Manager
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 06:32:30 PM »
I use PoolManager and it works really well. I had significant frame rate drop without it (as I was using create/destroy) and after PoolManager frame rate is back to normal.

Worth every penny.

gamedivision

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 09:27:08 AM »
thanks for that markinjapan,its on my list of purchases,whats the integration like with playmaker easy or difficult.

markinjapan

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 08:51:04 AM »
It's a little fiddly as what the actions do are not described well. I had a few problems to start because I didn't know how to add prefabs to the spawnpool (you have to drag from your project window not click on the small dot to select your prefab). Also, from the Spawn/Despawn actions, you have to select your prefabs from Assets not Scene (obvious to me now...). If anyone needs pictures of my setup let me know. I'm still not sure exactly what the settings in the Spawnpool do (cull on Despawn, etc) but I guess I just have to read the manual :)

After I got everything working, it was very easy to add more prefabs. I just have one Spawnpool object that spawns many different prefabs. It's really is a great tool, definitely worth the price.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 03:31:26 AM »
hi,

It's always important to read the documentation of pool manager to understand how it works. Even if they give scripted example, it's always good to get the vocabulary in place in your mind, then the playmaker custom actions  are simply straight forward because simply providing access to these key features.

bye,

Jean

gamedivision

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 01:45:31 PM »
i bought it,another thing to learn,too much to do and not enough hours in the day