playMaker

Author Topic: Question  (Read 4259 times)

tester

• Playmaker Newbie
Question
« on: October 27, 2012, 09:18:35 PM »
1) Is it safe to put important data within the playmaker variable?
2) Does all the FSM that i made get compiled in the build?
3) Can I build an assetbundle with a scene with FSM?

kiriri

Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 05:43:04 AM »
yes, how else should it work, and yes, though you have to manually export your global variables.

whyever would you think important data shouldn't go in playmaker?! If Playmaker works like any other FSM it translates every action into real code and real code needs to be compiled. Nothing "uncompiled" could be executed by a computer.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 05:52:05 AM by kiriri »
Best,
Sven

DARK_ETERNAL

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 02:39:45 PM »
What kind of "important" data are you putting within an FsmVariable? I don't think you're saving anything out of your application logic in that. The only thing "unsafe" about it is how you can access those variables. The other things, kiriri already told you.
Check out our new game: Nitro Chimp. Now live in App Store!

Trailer:
Download: https://itunes.apple.com/app/nitro-chimp/id557150450?l=en&mt=8

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 01:34:11 AM »
Hi,

I think there is a misunderstanding as what you mean by "Data"

An application when running has all it's data pretty much open and available for any hacker to access it really... it either on the harddisk or in memory... up to a certain level, you are not safe on that regards. And that's nothing to do with PlayMaker or Unity. If it's on your computer and a Hacker has access to your computer, then data is pretty much accessible.

Now... how safe really you want to be? if you are looking for military and classified safety level, then you would not even ask on this forum I suppose... :)

Is the sensitive data shown on screen at some point?
Is it saved on the computer as player prefs or in a dataBase or any permanent storage system, like in a file?
Are you publishing for mobile or desktop or web?

Bye,

Jean

DARK_ETERNAL

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 09:50:40 AM »
Jajajaja! Military safety level! :D
That made my day.

As long as I know, you can't actually get a file of your File System and store it in a FsmVariable, can you? I guess he might be referring to logic data, such as counters, persistent values and so. Let's wait until tester can say what he/she really meant.

Trailer:

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 10:38:24 AM »
hi,

i did not intend to sound silly actually:) but yes, it's very important to put things back in their context, what are important data and what are the risk if users actually getting involved in trying to still this data from you.

bye,

jean

tester

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 11:41:39 PM »
I dont mean anything Military safety level... come on.
I meant like Javascript(not unityscript). everything is source open.
the most basic example, use playmaker to connect to SQL db directly without app server.
In this case, Playmaker has to store server address/login id/password within a variable.

Javascript is totally not safe for that, since everything is sent with plant text. And That is also why no one would use javascript to directly connect to DB.

If things get compiled, that would be a different story.
like there are people using Object-C to connect to DB without extra app server. (I dont mean It has to be like really safety even with reverse engineering)

I do not know why it sound that funny to you. Playmaker forum is really unfriendly.

PS: Anyway, congrats to DARK_ETERNAL for your ios game and yes, I do like your game.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 12:20:16 AM by tester »

DARK_ETERNAL

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 04:43:57 PM »
Hey! Thanks, tester. I'm glad to read you liked the game. Hope you might spread the word about it. About the funny thing, sorry dude. It's not meant to offend you in any way, just to have some laugh around here.

Now, for your issue... Depending on whatever you're trying to achieve with your application, a DB access might be unnecesary, specially if you are thinking in implementing it by yourself. Do you have any other scripting options to connect to your DB? Or, do you have any issue with sending those plain text to another module which processes them and store the raw data to a relational DB? Or even, although I don't like this option, you can store those plain text in a DB, yet I don't like it because, if you were to read, let's say, a login ID, you'd have to retrieve the whole file and process it.

The thing is, with Playmaker, as long as I've worked with it, allows you to do basic application-level storage. If you intend to fill a DB, you'd have to do it yourself. What about Python? It's very used in web-apps, and might be safer, I don't know?

Trailer: