playMaker

Author Topic: Ragepixel bug  (Read 3188 times)

shinodan

• Shinozone
Ragepixel bug
« on: November 21, 2012, 06:00:31 AM »
Hey as you can assume im no coder, hence using playmaker :D

Iv'e basically been prototyping with ragepixel since jean made the animation actions (thanks again btw <3)

Now i know this isnt playmaker directly related but im wondering if there is a playmaker solution to my problem
(although i dont think there will be)

For my platformer, i have the player with an action that gets the x,y axis, the main camera has a set position action to the stored vector of the player.

With ragepixel i have a block texture that is duplicated for the floor. in the screenshot attached i have drawn in lines, because in game when the camera moves, those lines appear to flicker about, apparently it will act differently on different gpus too .. *facepalm*

This was my reply when i asked for help on the ragepixel forum.

"This is a known bug and it has no simple solution. It is about floating point rounding which acts differently on different GPUs with nearest (a.k.a point) filtering.

There are complex solutions like: On each frame, checking camera pos vs. all moving sprites, making sure they are not in the "danger area" to hit the bug etc. To get it correctly working on all the HW is a pain pain pain.

Sorry :("

When it comes to checking the camera position, i have it set so that its x axis is locked so im just clueless now really.

Ive tried changing resolutions, pixel sizes, removing shadow cast and receive, camera distance from the scene seems to sometimes make it better/worse...

Can anyone help me at all? or am i on to buttons? :( 

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Ragepixel bug
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 06:17:01 AM »
Hi,

Can you send the actual screenshot raw so that I can see the artifact? thanks

I would also anyway start investigating moving elements and camera only with pixel perfect values, maybe setting the distance camera so that moving 1 unit moves one pixel of your texture to avoid the gpu to fail. that would of course require a lot of trial and tests.

Can you not overlap the textures with each other? or add behind the same texture slightly offseted? or is the artifact also shown within the textured details as well, not just the borders?

No easy answer from my end neither.. sorry :)

bye,

Jean

shinodan

• Shinozone
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 06:47:46 AM »
When i take a screenshot the artifact doesn't show, when i make an offset copy it seems to work better but still happens... might have to try like 4-5 layers lol...

shinodan

• Shinozone
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 06:55:00 AM »
Heres the actual game so you can try lol.

http://www.filedropper.com/moonman

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 07:46:54 AM »
hi,

I am on mac... so no exe for me... :) sorry

bye,

Jean

shinodan

• Shinozone
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 08:02:36 AM »
Ah right :/ lol uhhh. wish i still had my mac virtual machine now.  Cheers anyway haha.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 01:47:55 PM »
hi,

you can publish for mac and simply zip the app folder and send it, it will work

bye,

Jean

shinodan

• Shinozone
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 03:08:27 PM »
Oh right i thought i was only able to export to mac on a mac hehe.

Here you go :D

http://www.filedropper.com/moonman_1